Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Fresh as a Daisy
seares

Re: something's wrong with my landline phone!

I've had the same problem- the number I had suddenly became 'unrecognised' when someone calls

There's no dial tone at all and nothing.

And I HAVE paid the bill!!

Yes, I have tried the 0845 045 1111 virgin number from another phone and was shipped around for a period of 30 minutes (multiple choice buttons in several tiers at 10p per minute + 10p connection charge), to be finally told- "You don't have an account with us!" What a way to run a customer service! I'd like Richard Branson to try out his complaints service- we might get some improvement.

I doubt that Virgin will pass on anything from this forum but you can email this address https://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/customer_zone/complaintformCZ.html and will at least get an automated acceptance reply.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
dollie

the automated replys are a waste of time..i got one saying they will respond within 3days..i waited over 2weeks and still didnt get a reply so i had to phone them and chase my complaint up...

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
ChristineB

I hav a HUGE prob with my landline...when i pick up reciever i hear a cracklin and ringin tone like im callin but have NOT dialled any numbers...i cannot recieve or make calls due to this i cannot contact virgin without bein charged a fortune from my mobil!!! wots goin on???

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
polly43

I've had the same problem Christine (see my post yesterday.)  The most peculiar noises were coming from the phone each time I lifted the receiver.  Sometimes I could hear a very faint dialling tone through all the crackling, at others there were voices, or the sound of dialling as if someone was dialling the phone and sometimes there were the 'Unobtainable' signals going nineteen to the dozen!  When I could ring, when the crackling subsided a bit and I could hear a dial tone, I rang my daughter's number and  she later said the phone rang just once, although I could hear it ringing out.  When she phoned my number, my phone just rang once too.  Nobody could hear anything on lifting the respective receivers though!  That means I've paid for these 'Trial' calls when I wasn't actually being connected at all!  However, the technician came when Virgin said he would, although he didn't actually come to the house.  He did it all from the exchange box several streets away.  He told us there had been 'A very queer fault' and there were a number of 'Dead' lines around us.  He had to connect us up to a new line in the box as the other was faulty.  He said sometimes the joints between the sections of underground cable get damp and cause this kind of 'Queer' fault! 

One thing though - Virgin are always on about getting help via their website.  Every time you ring their help line, they labour the point ad nauseum.  Don't!  It's useless!  Obviously I couldn't ring Virgin about the fault from my landline and as it's an 0845 number from other phones, I tried the website first.  Sent them an e-mail describing my fault, with all my details and they have never responded!  In the end, I used my old mobile (that I only keep for emergencies) and used up all the remaining credit on it getting through to Virgin Help with that.  To their credit though, I spoke to a person who spoke English (that I could understand) and although she said she tested my line and it appeared to be OK (when it obviously wasn't,) as I said, the technician came when he said and it is now fixed (Touch Wood!) 

I think they often really do know when there are faults in certain areas and don't like to admit to them (bad for their image!) They don't mind telling their customers about their maintenance causing faults, as that makes them look as if they are keeping on top of things! 

Hope you get things fixed soon.  :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Welcome__BHX

Support via the newsgroups used to be excellent, quickly replied to, and faults sorted promptly.

Contacting VM via their website is useless, you can wait months and still get no reply.

This forum is a joke too, complete mess, and little help.

Forcing you to use the also useless call centre.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
jess_july

For some unknown reason not only is my land line not recieveing a dial tone but my second V+ box will not turn on! Its so frustrating; despite having to use an O2 mobile to call the support team i was told after being on the line for some time that they also have a fault and cannot answer my call.

The box despite having power will not switch on and the phone cannot recieve incoming or make outgoing calls.

After not having a working landline or V+ box over the weekend im begining to wonder what I'm paying for? And how much longer this will continue? Ive checked every status update, help file and called every number possible but no help is available! Its simply not good enough. As a relatively new virgin customer after switching from BT im starting to regret my decision, while i appreciate faults occur the fact that no alternetive help available, is unacceptable.

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Welcome__BHX

Sadly fault reporting unlike with BT on VM is abysmal, also the phone service is usually less reliable too, just one of the things to be consided when moving landline to VM.

Cable TV is also less reliable than satellite, due to infrastrucure, with satellite there's nothing in the way of the satellite and your dish to go wrong, with cable there are loads of points along the way for something to go wrong along with less reliable boxes too, again something to consider.

I have phone line with VM as it was a please stay with us offer, so pay nothing for it, other wise I'd have stuck with VoIP, have TV because of the retentions offer, and broadband because admittedly that's usully pretty good, tho a lot less so since the throttling, some areas VM have crammed in toomany customers before upgrading to cope with them.

The status page doesn't show all faults, so is often pretty useless too.

Please use plain text.