Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
dp1
Making Waves
dp1
Helpful Answer

ex directory

Has service for ex directory changed?  i have neen ex -directory for over 20 years.  originally this meant, that not only did your number not be written in phone books, but also if you rang someone, they couldnt see your number.  But now they can.  do i have to dial a different number as well?  what is going on?  also, i do not have a spare 20 minutes to ring India/Philippines to ask customer services, who have no idea why i see it as a problem.:womanmad:

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: ex directory

Ex-Directory is only not listed in the phone book/directory enquiries

What you are wanting is Caller ID suppression (also known as Permanent Number Block). It's free to add on via Customer Services.

In the meantime doing 141 before a number you dial will block it for that call

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
Ray_P

Hi dp1,

Ex-directory means that your number will not be listed in the telephone directory or directory enquiries.

If you want your number to be withheld on all calls, then this is a feature that you need to request to have on your line. All you need to do is contact our customer care team on 150. There is no charge for this feature.

You can also withhold your number on a per call basis by dialling 141 before the dialled number.

Kind Regards

Ray_P
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
dp1
Making Waves
dp1

thank you very much. very helpful indeed!
Please use plain text.
Superuser
canveyboy

BenMcr wrote:

Ex-Directory is only not listed in the phone book/directory enquiries

What you are wanting is Caller ID suppression (also known as Permanent Number Block). It's free to add on via Customer Services.

In the meantime doing 141 before a number you dial will block it for that call

I am ex directory but never knew I could have my number suppressed as well, thanks for that, I shal be giving VM a ring to have that feature added.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
canveyboy

Decided to have my landline number changed today as even though I am with the TPS service I was getting fax calls quite often and calls from call centres even though I tell them not to call again.

I'm not sure the TPS service can stop calls from offshore call centres, even though they are acting on behalf of UK companies (something I will look into)

Anyway, VM agreed to change my number free of charge which I'm very happy with, However is was made clear to me that normally there is a £25 fee for changing numbers and if I need to change again in the future I would be charged. (fair enough).

I did ask to be classed as X-Directory and was told that Numbers are now automaticly clased as X-Directory anyways.

I also asked about the The caller ID suppression, but was told that this was not free and is classed as a chargable add on.

I used the "thinking of leaving us" department as I could find an option for what I wanted.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

canveyboy wrote:

I also asked about the The caller ID suppression, but was told that this was not free and is classed as a chargable add on.

Think they were confusing Caller ID feature with the number supression

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

Free

Permanent Number Withhold (1470)

Keeps your number private - every time you make a call. Ask our customer care team to set it up for you (even if you're ex-directory). If you do want to leave your number, dial 1470 before you make the call.

Which can be found HERE

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the RED STAR +☆
If I helped to answer your question then please click 'Helpful Answer' also
Please use plain text.