Check your service statusCable National
Ask a Question
0-
Brainbox
0-

Why do I need a phone line ?

All of my family have mobile phones. We have packages with inclusive minutes and much prefer to use these services to anything Virgin offers as a bundle.

If we make any calls on the Virgin line they cost a bomb, thanks to connection charges, cost per minute and so on. Because of this we don't make outgoing calls. The only ones we have made would be to 150/151, and we have alternative numbers to call Virgin support on a proper 01 number from the mobile phones if we really have to.

Anyone who needs us tends to call our mobiles, the landline calls we get are usually sales (despite being on TPS) dodgy computer engineers saying we are infecting their Internet, debt collectors calling a wrong number or similar. Oh, and Virgin of course.

We looked at getting rid of the phone line but it seems we would end up paying MORE for the remaining service, broadband (L/10Mb) , if we did. I worked it out that with broadband and phone we would pay £297.30 a year. Without the phone it would be £304.95 for the year. A whopping £7.65 more for removing an unwanted service that accounts for £166.80 of the cost of the same service WITH a phone line, a difference of £174.45 - or 57% of the total.

Virgin cannot even claim that they must have the phone line connected to provide broadband, as with ADSL to BT lines. £33.90 a month, after the first 3 months offer, just does not compare to the likes of BT, TalkTalk, Plusnet and the rest. They also offer 'up to 20Mb' for a much lower cost, including phone line rental.

I've not included any retention deals and goodwill discounts, or the added fee for not paying by DD as my pension does not always come in on the same date each month and I refuse to pay stupid charges if Virgin try to take a payment before funds hit the bank, which has happened before.

I'd just like to know why having a phone line has such an effect on cost, and why it's made so difficult to have broadband only on a cable connection. I don't even need the TV service, which was thrown in free on the last retention deal with the lowest M package - we have Freeview on a twin channel digital recorder with the same channels, and more, at the obvious cost of zilch.

Please use plain text.
Oracle
jb66

Re: Why do I need a phone line ?

Because virgin make a lot of money on phonecalls, it's in there interest to encourage folk to take a phoneline as every chargeable call you make is profit
*I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
SamKnows

I suppose the deal is there with the phone as they think you will use it to make calls where in the long run they would make more money than if you did not have the phone.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
carelesswispas

0- Could you please provide me with the 01 number to call virgin. Like you I have a phone line but never use it, it's not even plugged in, but I only have the 0845 number to call them, which is not included in my inclusive minutes, so an 01 number would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
SamKnows

I do not think Virgin have a 01 number to contact them.

All I could suggest it maybe borrow a phone to plug in your socket and dial 150 for free.

Please use plain text.
0-
Brainbox
0-

[ Edited ]

Virgin are not going to make any money on phone calls from me. That's why I want to remove the phone line, they charge far too much !

0151 477 7590 is the number I've used for faults as well as 01256 752000 for customer service. I've also got 0800 0520800 and 0800 0521370 down for alternatives to 0845 454 1111

Please use plain text.
Oracle
jb66

You can remove it but you loose so discounts
*I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
deejayburnout

I know this is an old thread, but i thought posting here would save me starting a new one.

I have phone line that is never used and TBH i am playing for something i dont want.

Why must VM insist that i have a phone line? They are never going to get any extra money off me as its never used to make calls.

Can one of the moderators please explain this to me.

Cheers

Give me a drink, some Bacardi, gimme the decks and i'll Rock the Party.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
carbon69

[ Edited ]

Indeed they do make a lot of money on calls...I have the phoneline in order to pay less for the package I have...I do not have a phone handset...have not had one for years...so can you please tell me why I have calls entered on my bill when it is impossible for me to have made the calls as I do not own a telephone?:smileysurprised:

Admittedly the charges are very small but if this is happening to others I would imagine Virgin would be rubbing their hands with glee! Just saying...!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
carbon69

I have been asking this for years...never could get a proper answer and obviously would like the cheaper option for the package I have so am resigned to paying a monthly charge for something I have no intention of using as like you I use my mobile only!

I have the line but no handset but have been getting calls added to my bill purportedly made from my landline-no idea how this has happened...unless I did it telepathically!:smileysurprised:

I really think there should be a way to have a reasonable priced package whether or not you want a landline...just scandalous the way we are manipulated...just saying...!:smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.