Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Padawan
Cloddy

What does "ex-directory" mean to VM?

When I last changed my telephone number, VM agreed that my new number would be ex-directory. I see (and hear, unfortunately) that they have broken the agreement. If I have to change it again, what are the chances that I'd really get ex-directory this time? Precious little to none at all?

Graham

Please use plain text.
L33t h4x0r
Laura_S

Re: What does "ex-directory" mean to VM?

Hi Cloddy,

Can you confirm what you mean when you say you 'see and hear VM have broken the contract'?

What is happening for you to think your number is not ex-directory?

Thanks

Laura_S
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker
Please use plain text.
Padawan
Cloddy

Laura_S wrote:

Hi Cloddy,

Can you confirm what you mean when you say you 'see and hear VM have broken the contract'?

What is happening for you to think your number is not ex-directory?

Thanks

By "see", I mean that I see my number is in the phone directory . By "hear", I mean I've just received a call from someone I'd not given my number to.

Graham

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

Cloddy wrote:

By "see", I mean that I see my number is in the phone directory . By "hear", I mean I've just received a call from someone I'd not given my number to.

Graham

Ex-Directory is just that. It means your number is not placed with your name into any Directory service - so not the Phone book, 118 services or any web directories. Where have you 'seen' that it is?

It does not mean that it will unreachable for people you don't know - that would be almost impossible to do.

It also will not stop cold sales calls - to reduce and stop those you have to register your number with the Telephone Preference Service www.tpsonline.org.uk

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
L33t h4x0r
Laura_S

Hi Cloddy,

The reason i asked was because lots of our customers who are ex-directory assume they will also not receive sales calls and this is not the case, that why i needed you to confirm what you meant.

Ex-directory simply means your number will not be published in future additions of phone directories and not be given out via direct enquiries but obviously we cannot control anything that is already published.

As BenMcr has asked can you confirm were you have seen your number?

Thanks

Laura_S

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker
Please use plain text.
Padawan
Cloddy

My number is in the Phone Book. I first became aware that something might be wrong when I received a call from someone who I suspected wasn't a simple random spam call so I asked where they'd got my number. They told me that they'd found it on Google. I then checked the Phone Book and found my entry there. The phone call I received yesterday was from someone who was one of the reasons for my changing my number and going ex-directory.

Graham

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
DTV_Phone

Hi Cloddy

After some investigation into this unfortunately your number is not down as Ex Directory on our system. I do apologise for this.

What I will need you to do is call our customer care team on 150 to get this ammended. If you wish to have a number change due to this I will note your account so this is done free of charge.

Once again i apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.

Terry

Please use plain text.