Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
Radio

Telephone charges for 0800 numbers and 0808 numbers

HI,

My wife's and her friend works for the RNIB as a telephone fund raiser and have to dial a 0800 or 0808 followed by a special code number  before each call so that the call charges are directed to the RNIB. My wife's friend has suddenly received a large bill of around £200.00  for all the 0800 and 0808 numbers that she has called. My question is that these numbers are listed as being free in the call charges list and there should not be a charge. We are now concerned that we are going to receive similar bill when we use the 0800 or 0808  numbers. As it happens we have a BT line as well but were contemplating dispensing with the BT line and just using the Virgin Line. Clearly if we are going to have  this problem we would not consider changing. As a matter of interest with BT we have only to dial a four digit code to access the RNIB system but with your calling system there always seems to be a need to dial the 0800 or 0808 numbers in addition to the RNIB code. This does of course slow down the dialling process and means that the Virgin service is much slower than the BT. Perhaps you would be kind enough to explain the reasons for these problems

Barrie P Spink   a Loyal Virgin customer

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: Telephone charges for 0800 numbers and 0808 numbers

Obviously can't comment on what has happened to your friend as it would need account access which I don't have.  You also don't say whether the bill is from VM or the RNIB

In regards to the different numbers BT and Virgin's phone systems work differently - BT's allows special short dial codes to be assigned to number like the RNIB whereas Virgin's doesn't.

However 0800 and 0808 numbers are definately free on Virgin landlines. So there should never be a charge for them from Virgin Media.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.