Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Padawan
Tangram
Helpful Answer

Sick and tired of unsolicited phone calls

I have had Virgin telephone since last October. I am registered with TPS and my number is x-directory, but I am still being plagued by unsolicited calls all day long , marketing calls and mostly silent calls from 0800 numbers (I have caller display).

I have read this forum and it seems Virgin's answer is to call 150 and ask for a change to the number but I do not want my number changed. I want Virgin to stop the unsolicited calls.

I would like to know how these companys get my number?

When I was with BT I didn't have any problems like this for years, but as soon as I went to Virgin, it's been an endless problem. Can someone from Virgin please tell me why this is happening and what they are doing to stop it? What measures do Virgin have in place to stop unwanted calls?

Please use plain text.
Padawan
Tangram

Re: Sick and tired of unsolicited phone calls

Is anyone from Virgin going to reply to this please?

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Collette_T

Hello Tangram,

The options available to help combat unwatned calls are to register with the TPS, which you already have done.  In addition there is a call feature called Anonymous Caller Reject which will stop any calls that with hold their number getting through, however this doesn't always block 100% of calls as some cold callers or sales calls have a way of by passing this.  Apart from that the only other solution is to change your number via customer services on 150.  I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing ongoing issues with unwanted calls.

Thanks.

Collette
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!

Please use plain text.
Padawan
Tangram

Thank you but you didn't answer my questions.

How have so many companies got hold of my number since I have been with Virgin?

I reiterate, I never had this problem with BT and the problem started almost as soon as I got my phone service with Virgin. 

What measures do Virgin have in place to stop unwanted calls?

Can you please check that my number is x-directory please?

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Collette_T

Hello Tangram,

There is a couple of details I cannot confirm via forum so will send you a PM with the details of your account.

I answer to your question regarding how companies have your number, there are many reasons for this :-

* Previous owner of the number may have given it out through web forms, contracts etc.

* Not correctly ticking the right boxes when signing up to  either credit agreements, webforms, club   memberships etc.

* Or other companies are illegally selling your information - but TPS take care of that.

Unfortunately we can't stop people calling you whether it's sales, cold callers etc, but when can aid you with measure to try and prevent them which I mention in my previous post. 

I have sent you a PM with further details to your other questions.

Thanks.

Collette
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!

Please use plain text.
Padawan
Tangram

OK thanks, so it looks like I just have to put up with it and suffer. Great :-(

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
Karenesque

I have also been plagued by these calls over the years and tried all the various options, including the TPS.  In the end, I bought a phone that bars individual numbers.  This is the one I bought.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-KX-TG8423EB-Colour-Telephone-Machine/dp/B001WAKSHC/ref=sr_1_17?s=e...  It comes in various configurations and I believe has been recently updated.  I'm Aured on the reviews and you can see I'm pleased with it.  Now if a number bothers me, it goes on the bar list and I never hear from it again.  (The number comes up on the call list, but the phone never rings)  It only works if you have Caller ID though.  So I have Caller ID and ACR from Virgin.  It is an added expense, but worth every penny, to stop these idiots from bothering me.  The phone will not stop numbers that come up as 'INTERNATIONAL.'  Though these days, companies use numbers, so they can bypass ACR.  The Panasonic one I bought, also has a useful feature called 'nightmode'  which means you can get the phone to only ring, when numbers you choose contact you.  So if you work shifts, are woken by late night calls, or are often ill and keep strange hours, as in my case, the phone can filter the calls you receive.  So you want only family and friends to ring between the hours of 10pm and 7am, you add those numbers to a category on the phone, set the nightmode up, choose the category you previously added the numbers you want and the phone only rings if those numbers contact you.  It sounds complicated, but I managed to set it all up, with no problems and I'm no tech genius.

I'm sure other makes do something similiar.  Look for phones that bar individual incoming numbers.  Make sure Caller ID is available in your area, along with ACR and the phone you choose works with Virgin.

Please use plain text.
Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

You could also try Trucall which is an electronic secretary which fields every call and even advises that you do not accept cold call and the like just click HERE

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the RED STAR +☆
If I helped to answer your question then please click 'Helpful Answer' also
Please use plain text.
Padawan
Tangram

Thanks for the replies, very helpful :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.