Bright Spark
martinb

Re: Constant calls from 08004089340-Virgin Media?

No. They should stop calling A professional company should not stoop to annoying people like this Branson, sort it out!
Please use plain text.
Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

martinb wrote:
No. They should stop calling A professional company should not stoop to annoying people like this Branson, sort it out!

Once again this company is not owned by Richard Branson as NTL/Telewest have leased the name for 10 years from his companies

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the RED STAR +☆
If I helped to answer your question then please click 'Helpful Answer' also
Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Peter_ wrote:

martinb wrote:

Once again this company is not owned by Richard Branson as NTL/Telewest have leased the name for 10 years from his companies

no, but he owns the Virgin brand name which he licences out, and he is more than happy to be associated with Virgin Media - his name crops up in all the email help pages, he is all over the doublespeed thing, and doubtless he takes a handsome income from the whole operation. No one person owns VM - but RB is definitely a figurehead.

Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

slated wrote:

Peter_ wrote:

martinb wrote:

no, but he owns the Virgin brand name which he licences out, and he is more than happy to be associated with Virgin Media - his name crops up in all the email help pages, he is all over the doublespeed thing, and doubtless he takes a handsome income from the whole operation. No one person owns VM - but RB is definitely a figurehead.

He was given aaroud 10.7% in shares for the use of the name but apart from advertising has nothing whatsoever to do with running the company, I expect it takes any flak away from the company itself.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Aroreiel

Is this really a VM legit number? I ask this because I am not even the account holder of our household, and yet I have received a few missed calls over the last few days, on my mobile phone, from this very number. They shouldn't even have my mobile number on file, I have never given it out.

Please use plain text.
Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

Aroreiel wrote:

Is this really a VM legit number? I ask this because I am not even the account holder of our household, and yet I have received a few missed calls over the last few days, on my mobile phone, from this very number. They shouldn't even have my mobile number on file, I have never given it out.

Yes it is a genuine number and the message you get if you ring is one that is used by Virgin Media.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Peter_ wrote:

Aroreiel wrote:

Yes it is a genuine number and the message you get if you ring is one that is used by Virgin Media.

Peter_ wrote:

Aroreiel wrote:

The number may well be genuine. But that does not stop CLID being spoofed. Of course the scammers will tell you they are calling from Virgin Media, that is the whole point! And their deception will naturally include spoofing a convincing Caller Display.

Which is why VM needs to adopt a mutually-assured security protocol, which gives you as much confidence as it gives them that each is who they say they are.

Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

slated wrote:

The number may well be genuine. But that does not stop CLID being spoofed. Of course the scammers will tell you they are calling from Virgin Media, that is the whole point! And their deception will naturally include spoofing a convincing Caller Display.

Which is why VM needs to adopt a mutually-assured security protocol, which gives you as much confidence as it gives them that each is who they say they are.

The same can be said about any such call from any source, but the message you hear is a genuine Virgin Media one which just advises that you were called nothing more, what I do if I call such a number is precede it with the number 141 and you are untraceable.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

[ Edited ]

the point is, VM cold call, and scammers cold call. The person doing the calling knows which one they are, but both will say they are VM. And the person receiving the call has to decide whether the caller is telling the truth.

VM, for their part, need to know that they are speaking to the account holder. The scammer wants to be talking to the account holder also.

So far, from the customer's perspective, there is nothing to tell them apart.

If VM ask the account holder outright for their password that satisfies VM's need to know that they are speaking with the account holder. And VM also knows that they themselves are VM, so everything is OK from their perspective.

But the customer is still in the dark and does not know who the caller is, because a scammer would have asked the same questions and behaved the same way exactly. So the customer's need for security is not satisfied and they should put the phone down as soon as anybody asks for their password, without answering. Pointless for VM.

So VM needs to adopt an alternative strategy, one which does assure the customer as well as VM that each knows that the other is genuine without requiring the customer to compromise their password in the process. A scammer would not adopt such a strategy since it does not fulfil their goals.

The banks have long adopted such strategies. One example is to ask the customer for only a random selection of characters from their password, and not ask for the whole password. The caller is then required to reply to the customer with a pre-arranged code word in return. The customer risks nothing in revealing only random sample characters from the whole password (but still gives the necessary assurance to VM), and is then reassured when the caller is able to give the customer's chosen code word.

The best a scammer could do with that protocol is to blindly affirm the characters given by the customer from their complete password, but would then be unable to reply to the customer with the code word.

There must be other simpler schemes, but the principle remains. If VM act no different from scammers then they will be treated no differently. VM must adopt a strategy which is self-defeating for a scammer to mimic.

Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

slated wrote:

the point is, VM cold call, and scammers cold call. The person doing the calling knows which one they are, but both will say they are VM. And the person receiving the call has to decide whether the caller is telling the truth.

VM, for their part, need to know that they are speaking to the account holder. The scammer wants to be talking to the account holder also.

So far, from the customer's perspective, there is nothing to tell them apart.

If VM ask the account holder outright for their password that satisfies VM's need to know that they are speaking with the account holder. And VM also knows that they themselves are VM, so everything is OK from their perspective.

But the customer is still in the dark and does not know who the caller is, because a scammer would have asked the same questions and behaved the same way exactly. So the customer's need for security is not satisfied and they should put the phone down as soon as anybody asks for their password, without answering. Pointless for VM.

So VM needs to adopt an alternative strategy, one which does assure the customer as well as VM that each knows that the other is genuine without requiring the customer to compromise their password in the process. A scammer would not adopt such a strategy since it does not fulfil their goals.

The banks have long adopted such strategies. One example is to ask the customer for only a random selection of characters from their password, and not ask for the whole password. The caller is then required to reply to the customer with a pre-arranged code word in return. The customer risks nothing in revealing only random sample characters from the whole password (but still gives the necessary assurance to VM), and is then reassured when the caller is able to give the customer's chosen code word.

The best a scammer could do with that protocol is to blindly affirm the characters given by the customer from their complete password, but would then be unable to reply to the customer with the code word.

There must be other simpler schemes, but the principle remains. If VM act no different from scammers then they will be treated no differently. VM must adopt a strategy which is self-defeating for a scammer to mimic.

Luckily I do not deal with any such calls being broadband technical support, but shortly that will a thing of the past CLICK HERE

Please use plain text.