Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Emerging Talent
AndrewKayleigh

Blocking Withheld Numbers

I've been getting a lot of calls from a withheld number. I'm registered with TPS and that's helped a lot with the cold calls i was getting from people trying to sell me stuff.

However, i'm still getting calls from a mysterious withheld number/numbers and i'd like to be able to block these calls completely.

They phone everyday, a few times a day and i want to stop it.

Is there a way to block withheld numbers? Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
MartJ

Re: Blocking Withheld Numbers

You can sign up to Anonymous Caller Reject which rejects Witheld numbers before they reach you, it cost £2.55 per month.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Telephone/Blocking-Withheld-Numbers/td-p/628661

Martin
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
AndrewKayleigh

How do i go about doing that?

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Collette_T

Hello AndrewKayliegh,

You can call 150 free from your virgin line and customer services will be happy to add the feature to your line.

Thanks.

Collette
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!

Please use plain text.
Wizard
ramduck

knew there would be a charge, having the same problem myself. off to bt web site see how much they charge
Please use plain text.
Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

ramduck wrote:
knew there would be a charge, having the same problem myself. off to bt web site see how much they charge

Well Virginmedia charge £2.05 each call feature, or just £3.60 a month for 2 or more call features whereas BT charge £3 a month or up to £8 for all features so considerably dearer but you also need a BT phone line so more expense.

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the RED STAR +☆
If I helped to answer your question then please click 'Helpful Answer' also
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
jennysue19

I have this feature and I don't pay ANYTHING for it, never have in the past 5 or 6 years - it's listed on my bill as 'Perm No conceal (1470)' but you have to bear in mind that this feature, whatever they call it will ONLY block anonymous calls from inside the UK.

So if someone in Taiwan or Korea has got hold of your number because they got it illegally from one of the many leaks of personal data from various sources, they can unfortunately still get to you. No idea where they got my number. Suspect O2 because if they do get through they are trying to flog me cheaper mobile deals and they seem to know I'm with O2 at present.

My friends have got used to a second or two silence when I answer, followed by a very cautious 'hello' which mostly deters the phone pests, they disconnect and I do 1471 then leave the phone off the hook for a moment or two if it's an anonymous call. If it's a legit call, I can do ringback.

Don't let Virgin rip you off for this service. If I'm getting the service free, the same facility should be available to everyone at the same zero charge. They are already in my bad books and facing an enquiry from Ofcom because of their erratic and incorrect billing. I don't think they will make it worse by deciding to charge me for this facility now.

Please use plain text.
Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

jennysue19 wrote:

I have this feature and I don't pay ANYTHING for it, never have in the past 5 or 6 years - it's listed on my bill as 'Perm No conceal (1470)' but you have to bear in mind that this feature, whatever they call it will ONLY block anonymous calls from inside the UK.

So if someone in Taiwan or Korea has got hold of your number because they got it illegally from one of the many leaks of personal data from various sources, they can unfortunately still get to you. No idea where they got my number. Suspect O2 because if they do get through they are trying to flog me cheaper mobile deals and they seem to know I'm with O2 at present.

My friends have got used to a second or two silence when I answer, followed by a very cautious 'hello' which mostly deters the phone pests, they disconnect and I do 1471 then leave the phone off the hook for a moment or two if it's an anonymous call. If it's a legit call, I can do ringback.

Don't let Virgin rip you off for this service. If I'm getting the service free, the same facility should be available to everyone at the same zero charge. They are already in my bad books and facing an enquiry from Ofcom because of their erratic and incorrect billing. I don't think they will make it worse by deciding to charge me for this facility now.

It is chargeable and if the OP wants it then they will have to pay for it as the is no free option, if you have it for free then think yourself lucky as it should cost £2.05 per month which is not dear and certainly cheaper than BT at £3 per month.

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the RED STAR +☆
If I helped to answer your question then please click 'Helpful Answer' also
Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
AMD87

1470 is NOT the same as anonymous caller reject. All 1470 does is stop your number displaying
Please use plain text.
pdp
Fresh as a Daisy
pdp

I do not understand why there has to be a monthly charge for blocking withheld numbers. Essentially this is about customer service and enjoyment of the Virgin experience. Providing withheld number blocking at no cost or a one-off set up fee (not exceeding £5) is likely to result in a significant competitive advantage for Virgin. Making a monthly charge is just taking advantage of customers misery.

Please use plain text.