Fresh as a Daisy
IngridForde

Answering machine does not work

Hi

I recently bought a new phone with integral answering machine.  The phone rings and we are able to make calls, however the answering machine does not work.  We've swapped the phone for three times in the last month - the last time for a different model BT Synergy 6500.  The answering machine still doesn't work.  We took the phone to our neighbours who plugged it in and say they can leave messages no problem.

Virgin say we don't have the Virgin answering machine switched on and they've have been out and tested the line but cannot find a fault.  Customer Services say that my phone is not compatible with Virgin phone line....  I am out of patience - please can you help?

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

Re: Answering machine does not work

Does the phone continue ringing if you don't answer an incoming call?

Make sure you do NOT have Virgin Answer Machine active on your line as this may activate before your device.

Also check through this Synergy 6500 Answer Machine Help

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
IngridForde

Thanks for coming back so quickly.

Yes the phone rings several times before the integral machine picks up.  It starts asking you to leave a message but then just stops and cuts you off.

I definitely do not have the Virgin voice-mail, Virgin confirmed this to me earlier.

I've looked in the brochure and spoken to BT but they maintain there's something wrong with my line.  Is it possible that the phone just isn't compatible with the Virgin network?

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

IngridForde wrote: 

Yes the phone rings several times before the integral machine picks up.  It starts asking you to leave a message but then just stops and cuts you off.

OK. That is the important info :smileyhappy:

I can only think of three reasons why the answer machine would disconnect like that:-

a) It is configured as answer only - can you check this?  Also, make sure you have different greetings recorded for each mode.

b) It is detecting "noise" on the telephone line which triggers the disconnect (as if caller has hung up).

c) There is a fault in the answer machine function itself (not the telephone).

So if it was "incompatible" with Virgin why would the problem only arise with option b) and not the normal telephone working?

P.S. I don't work for Virgin, I'm just another user.

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
IngridForde

OK - sounds good.  I've checked that it says "answer and record", and not just "answer".  However I haven't recorded any messages - just left the manufacturer's voice-mail on for outgoing messages.

I'll have a go tonight and let you know how I get on tomorrow.....

I'm very grateful, honestly - for someone who doesn't even work for the phone company - you're far more switched on than some of the people I've experienced since we started having this problem!

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

Regarding compatibility - we have BT Freestyle 750 and that works fine. Not sure if that info helps you though.

Regarding the possible "noise" you may find that Virgin will not accept a fault report as it works OK for voice calls. You will have to wait for a Virgin support response for further info.

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
CRB
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
CRB

I too have a Synergy 6500 that, following my move to a different part of the country, does not work in the way you say i.e. the machines issues one word of the answer message and then cuts the caller off.  I contacted BT who asked me to 'reset' my machine by unplugging it for 15 minutes and then going through the set up procedure - this did nothing to improve the problem.  I have just recontacted BT who now inform me that I am not the only person with this problem and that one of their customers informed them that the cause is that the line impedance is incompatable.  I have no idea if it is too high or too low.  Virgin answer desk say they do not know of this problem and that they can't help as the phone is working (in that I can make and receive calls).  I see that the Virgin shop supply this phone so it should work.  Does anyone know where to go from here?

Please use plain text.
CRB
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
CRB

Hi IngridForde,

I have the same problem - see my longer post.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

<the line impedance is incompatable>

That's an "interesting" comment !!

Can you confirm if your phone is plugged into the master phone socket, or an extension socket (i.e. do you have more than one socted installed - if so, have you tried another one)?

Other than trying that, I think it might be best to wait for a VM tech to respond.

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
L33t h4x0r
Laura_S

Hi IngridForde and CRB,

I'll need to get one of our telephony switch engineer to check something regarding this fault as it seems very similar to an issue I raised a very long time ago.

It's a but busy on the forums at the moment so I'll raise a fault ticket later on tonight and update you with the reference numbers then.

Regards

Laura_S
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker
Please use plain text.