Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
patdon
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media Security crashes on Virus Scan

Recently Virgin Media Security started crashing on virus scan, it gets to 64% and locks up and locks up my whole PC. I'm using Vista Home premium. The last successful scan was carried out on the first of May, I've not added any programs since

Is this happening to anyone else and if so what's the solution?

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
Paul_M

Re: Virgin Media Security crashes on Virus Scan

Hi patdon,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Virgin Media Security?

Thanks

Paul
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
patdon

Yes, I uninstalled it and downloaded the latest version on Sunday last but got the same problem.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

Hi Patdon,

With this being the case, we will need to perform some further checks and take some further information from you.

Could you please run the diagnostic tool and allow the scan to complete, advising whether there are any software conflicts?

I have sent you a PM with regards to some other information we'd need to investigate further also.

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
patdon

Sorry I have removed Virgin security from my PC and installed Norton 360. Security systems just shouldnt give these sort of problems. My PC is now running normally.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

[ Edited ]

if you computer was running normally it wouldn't of started crashing.

If you have not installed anything since the scan last completed then be careful.

might seem like you have fixed it by moving to new software but you might have some failing hardware. RAM and hdd can lock up the system as well as over heats if the fan is not workign right.

Just keep your eye on the computer, Any more odd problems and you might want to have a deeper look into it.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
mickrick08

[ Edited ]

IVE BEEN HAVING SIMILAR PROBS ON MY DESKTOP FOR SOME TIME! SO MUCH SO THAT I VERY RARELY USE it now but opt for the more up to date laptop!

i assumed it was due to my desktop being old and failing hardware but sounds like it maybe due to V M Security! i dont believe it used to crash before the upgrade from PC Guard!

the other issue is that both PCs are very slow booting up despite the fact that laptop is a decent spec! im of the opinion that this is due to VMS as a friend has similar laptop with NAV on and its fast!!

any comments?

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi mickrick08

If you uninstall VMS do the issues continue?  If so then it is likely there is another cause for this.

Regards,

Lee Grant

Help & Support Forum Team

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
patdon

I've had no further problems since I removed Virgin Media Security - PC works fine. sorry but this problem seams to have been caused by VMS 

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
pc1958

Hi, I have been having exactly the same problems as the ones described here. Virgin Media Security gets stuck scanning at 64% and no other program will work.   I then have to turn off the machine which then seems to result in disk problems as windows then goes into repair mode.

I noticed that it seems to stick on file     ...amd_ microsoft-windows_acluifilefoldertool_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.600.1

I think it is  definaltely a problem with VMS as (1) it didn't happen before I upgraded from PC Guard and it doesn't happen now i have disabled the scanning.    I don't want to have to completely remove the VSM program and go for other virus software protection but there doesn't seem much point having something that causes such problems.  My computer has also started acting as other have described in taking forever to shut down.  (on a second computer run by my son, the whole thing crashed and I have had to rebuild from factory settings... it is really too much of a coincidence.

I don't think this problem is solved (unless you are saying the answer is remove the virgin software, which isn't really an acceptable answer, or I'm missing something in the resposes .... and more work is needed by virgin to sort this out.  I can't really see the point of virus protection software that causes more problems than it identifies. Look forward to hearing from you.

Please use plain text.