Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Fresh as a Daisy
hardings_clan

Problems starting Virgin Media Security

Afternoon All,

I have upgraded the Virgin Media security on my PC but now it does not start.

When I attempt to start the software I get this error:

The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Below is a copy of the application event log:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Virgin Media\Security\RPS.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Can somebody shed some light on this one, it's driving me round the bend!

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Wizard
SteveH

Re: Problems starting Virgin Media Security

hardings_clan wrote:

Afternoon All,

I have upgraded the Virgin Media security on my PC but now it does not start.

Can somebody shed some light on this one, it's driving me round the bend!

Thanks

Yet another issue with VM security. The sooner VM admit this software is rubbish and either pull it altogether or replace it with something (already out there) that works, the better.

The best thing I can advise is to get yourself a decent security package (Nod, Kaspersky etc) and dump the VM product.

Its beyond me my VM don't just save themselves the hassle and negotiate a deal with one of the existing security software providers so us customers can get a decent product at a preferential price.

It would also mean VM wouldn't have to support it, which would save them money. I'm sure they would like that.

Please use plain text.
Boffin
Cable_BB

Hi Hardings clan,

The error is not to do with VM security it is to do with an OS issue usually Vista.

The following link may help:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/c0a800ff-39e9-4...

Kind regards

Patrick B

Elliott
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
Wizard
SteveH

Cable_BB wrote:

Hi Hardings clan,

The error is not to do with VM security it is to do with an OS issue usually Vista.

The following link may help:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/c0a800ff-39e9-4...

Kind regards

Patrick B

With all due respect Patrick, how is a link to a MSDN developer page going to help most users?

Indeed the o/p may understand all of that tech speak, but don't you think it's wrong to assume from the outset that an average user would understand it (no offence ntended to the o/p)? I would imagine that the majority of VM customers wouldn't have a clue what that page was about.

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
Sololobo

This may be a C++ issue and not necessarily a problem with the operating system. Files may have been corrupted during the download of the software, causing the problem.

The first option to try is to completely remove the Virgin Media security software, reboot and try a re-install.

Failing that, see below.

Side by side (SxS) is an operating system feature that allows different and potentially incompatible versions of the same application library (.dll file) to coexist on the same machine. The application library must provide relevant information to allow it to participate in the SxS schema.

It may be that an existing or new .dll could have invalid SxS data.

Install the Visual C++ redistributable files:-  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displa....

Best of luck.

--------------------
I used to answer questions, but now I question instead.

Kudos: Users give and VM taketh away.
Please use plain text.