Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
Carl_B

Parental controls

Hi,

PC guard is OK if you have a PC but can Virgin do anything 'server side' to filter content on request to help with controlling every other device in the average house that doesn't have Windows installed iPod Touch, iPad, PS3... the list goes on

Or does anyone know of a proxy service that all traffic can be routed through, not just the stuff that is going to see PC Guard (Parental controls in W7 are much more scary to the kids, first time you show them the log is the last!)

Cheers

Carl

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Parental controls

hiya Carl_B

sadly no, virgin cant do anything like that server side, im guess your using a router to share the connection, since on a lot of routers those have parental controls, can you post the make and model of router you have. 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Carl_B

Cheers paultechy,

that was the answer I was expecting (unfortunately) I have Netgear and Buffalo routers which can block either keywords (Netgear) or IP addresses (Buffalo) the problem is maintaining the lists; take Redtube for example, the main site has an IP addy that can be blocked or just use the keyword Redtube, that's fine on a PC...but then I can block it on the PC with parental controls...which is much easier, the problem is mobile devices, Redtube then becomes at least 3 different servers with different IP's and names that are proxied all over the place.

Its like nailing jelly to the wall!

(For anyone reading this that is interested Buffalo routers have the most 'customisable' filtering rules but they are only based on IP addresses Ports and Protocols, Netgear is easier to configure and blocks more for less effort and has a more 'family friendly' configuration)

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Carl_B

OK answered my own question in the end OpenDNS allow you to freely use their DNS servers to filter web content before it even hits your home network, you can do this by changing the DNS server addresses on individual PC's or more importantly for the home network with lots of mobile devices ON YOUR ROUTER thereby filtering ALL traffic to ALL devices on the network.  There is also a pay option that gives more customisation but to be fair the freebe should do most home users.

I wouldn't mind taking a guess that the installed Virgin stuff will even run over the top without a problem.

There are probably other DNS server services available... feel free to Google :-)

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
Paul_M

Hi Carl_B,

If you have any more issues please let us know and we will do our best to resolve them for you.

Thanks

Paul
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.