Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Fresh as a Daisy
jondodd

Ip cloning

Hi i recently found a hacking console on my screen after shutting off my web page i noticed my pc was less responsive i have performed a full format and reinstallation but have noticed activity on my my modem when my pc was turned off which i believe to be someone port scanning me.

Is it possible for someone to clone your ip or mac address if they know your ip my modem is a cisco 2100 wired type ?

thanks jondodd

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
John_Hag

Re: Ip cloning

Hi jondodd,

The network broadcasts to all connected modems all the time, and the modem itself talks to the network whether your PC is on or not. And we do occasionally run port scans as part of our network security checking.

We also operate security systems to ensure that devices with cloned MAC addresses will not gain access to the network and, as the IP address is tied to the MAC address, then cloning an IP address would be pointless.

Regards,
John Haggerty
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords. Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.