Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
AVHelper

Installing F-Secure after Virgin Media Security.

Hi

I am a F-Secure user/helper on their English Forum; http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/bd-p/Protection

We have had 2 recent Virgin Media customers who have had difficulties in changing from Virgin Media Security to F-Secure Safe; 

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/F-Secure-Will-not-Install/td-p/34129

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/FS-not-installing/td-p/31041

In general, they have allowed the new install of F-Secure to uninstall the older Virgin Media Security (VMS) but have found the install to hang and not complete.

Overall, I suggest that it may be better for users to first uninstall VMS and then install the new F-Secure package.

And just to make sure that all remnants are removed I would run the specific uninstaller for VMS after a normal uninstall and then install FS.

(Users coming from a different Antivirus, download and use its specific removal tool; http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/mse-protect_start/list-of-anti-malware-product-remov...)

Overall;

*Uninstall VMS from Add/Remove/Program and Features. Reboot. Then use the specific uninstaller from here;

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-security/Virgin-Media-Security-10-FAQ/td-p/910393

1. Download UserCommunity-Uu-RpsUU.exe, save the file somewhere that is easy to access on your machine such as the ‘Desktop’ or ‘My Documents’ folder.
  2. Double click the file to run it.
  3. Click Yes to confirm that you want to uninstall.
  4. Restart the computer when prompted.

* Then install the new F-Secure package.

Good luck and most users will find the new package stable, reliable and it will give great protection.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Re: Installing F-Secure after Virgin Media Security.

Common sense says to remove any existing security software first and to not allow another installer to remove it as remenants will get left behind.

Also common sense says to not install a paid AV suite, but that's another story :smileywink:
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
rabent

Hi,

I'm one of the users who was having difficulties with the F-Secure download instructions from Virgin, I do consider myself to have common sense, having worked in the industry supporting the NHS for 16 years, anyway as I followed the instructions from Virgin I would have expected them to have tested there solution and for it to work, as it didn't I think having this post will help anyone else who follows their instructions.

Please use plain text.
Community Lead
James_W

Hi "F-Secure",

Thanks for popping by.

I've read the thread on your forum board, thanks for linking to them.

We were advised that the installation process of F-Secure was the most effective way of removing the VM Security software.

I'm therefore passing the details of your threads on to the relevant people to investigate. The last thing we want is for old software getting in the way of the new install.

Stay in touch, by all means.

All the best,

James W
Community Lead - Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
JDavidJ

Thanks, This did work using the standard uninstall via Control Panel - Programs and Features, although it took about 40 minutes (and a manual reboot) for the uninstall  process to complete. It seems that the two programs were fighting for control, and what finally got it started was a reboot followed by starting the uninstall as soon as I could, before f-secure could launch itself and get in the way.

I was worried that there was a gap in protection (as was Windows Action Centre), after the VM was disabled and before the F-Secure was up and running. I am disappointed that the install documentation is so poor, but if F-Secure is less intrusive than the Virginmedia package (and McAfee and Symantec) I'll be happy.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
JDavidJ

Common sense to most users (rather than obviously knowledgeable techies like yourself) is to follow the suppliers instructions. Common sense also dictates that removing antivirus before a process that requires connection to the internet and software installation is not a good idea.

A free anti-virus package has limited support and may well give other functionality limitations, so as far as your final comment is concerned, we all make choices and rarely in this situation is either one unambiguously correct..

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Removing an antivirus and installing a new one whilst connected to the internet is no problem, providing you aren't looking at dodgy sites etc at the same time.

most free packages these days offer as much as, and sometimes more than, most paid for suites
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

gary_dexter wrote:
Common sense says to remove any existing security software first and to not allow another installer to remove it as remenants will get left behind.

Also common sense says to not install a paid AV suite, but that's another story :smileywink:

Personally Gary.

I find that answer is a bit condescending to users.  Although the gist of it is true.

As a general rule it's always best to uninstall old AV software before putting in new stuff.  I note that F-Secure does check for conflcting software during installation but can't say what it does when it finds it.

It's also true to say that if you limit your PC use in between uninstalling the old AV software and installing the new one then you can avoid getting into situations where you might get your PC infected.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
sprinkly

Hi Ive been trying to install the new F-Secure since yesterday, Im getting the *hanging* trouble too, then read thT YU need to uninstall VM I went to do that , but it wont let me cuz message saying a current uninstall in progress, seems to be in limbo or something , Im not very pc literate, incidently I read about the *commonsnece remarks* thats fine n dandy when you have the knowhow, I do think that virgin media SHOULD HAVE HAD THAT IN THE EMAIL FOR US NEWBIES ,, and besides why is it never double checked for such errors, JUST WHY? so can someone plz tell me what Im to do next.. ive tried cancelling, rebooting ect

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and try to uninstall the VMS product
Please use plain text.