Fresh as a Daisy
TrevorL
Helpful Answer

IP Address of Virgin Super Hub

How can I change the IP address of my Super Hub?

Not sure if I need to be concerned - but I think the IP address has been acquired by a person who used their laptop on my home broadband. 

Now I'm wondering if the IP address could potentially be used somehow for gathering personal information when I use the internet?

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Steve_Brett

Re: IP Address of Virgin Super Hub

Hi TrevorL

If you mean the public IP address, this can be changed by switching the superhub into modem only mode and rebooting it, after a few days you should then be able to revert to superhub mode.
If you are concerned about someone connecting with an unauthorised wireless connection to your home network, then you should update the wireless password, and maybe even look at setting up filtering by mac address to only allow access to your known devices.
Kind Regards,

Steve Brett
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
TrevorL

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice - the original question was about changing the public IP address.

I tried switching the superhub into modem mode, and the IP address changed. 

But when I reverted back to superhub mode, it reverted back to the original IP address.  Any idea how to make the change permanent?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

leaving the superhub for a few days, can sometimes give you a new external/public IP address. but it depends on the CMTS for hub connectivity. only real option to get a different Ip address is to use modem mode, and have your own router attached the superhub.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
rsm39

You mention the 'Public' IP address.  

Does this mean it is used  but  more than one user in an area?  And is there a Private IP for each user and does this change?

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Jen_A

Hi TrevorL,

The wan IP address is released back into a holding pool until leased out to other equipment. If you put the hub into modem mode and do not revert back to router mode for approx. 48 hours, you may get a different IP address.

However, this is not guaranteed.

Jen_A

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Jen_A

Hi rsm39,

You will have 2 different types of IP address. The WAN ip (wide area network) is provided by the CMTS to equipment that requests this via a gateway. The gateway will be either a stand alone cable modem or the modem  part of the Superhub.

The LAN ip (local area network) is assigned internally by the wireless router to whatever devices are connected. 

With our equipment, these are identified by a 192.168.0.* address.

This internal ip addressing is used to route data to specific devices (laptops, pc's, android phones etc.)

Hope this helps.

Jen_A

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
rsm39

ty
Please use plain text.