Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
aaroncoughlin
Helpful Answer

How To Unblock A Packet?

Dear Board Members,

I Just Installed Virgin Media's Security package The Other Day And Have Noticed When Using Windows Live Messenger It Has Stopped Me From Being Able To Have A Video Call Or Just To Simply View Webcams/Send Webcam Invitations.

The Reason I Know It Is Down To Virgin Is Because I Went Into 'Active Connections' Through The Firewall And Clicked On The Details Of Windows Live Messenger And When I Exchange Webcam Invitations The Connection Briefly Shows, I Then Compared Those Details (IP Address That Appears And Port) To That Of The Log Which Shows 'Blocked Packets'.

Now Windows Live Messenger Has Been Set To Allow, And Would Therefore Think That It Would Allow Any Open Connection Through The Program Without Virgin's Firewall Blocking The Packet Requests.

I'm Simply Wondering How Do You Unblock A Packet Or How Could I Add Specific IP/Ports To Have Access?

Regards and Thanks In Advanced,

Aaron Coughlin

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

Re: How To Unblock A Packet?

Hi Aaron,

In Virgin Security, can you please advise whether you're able to see Windows Live Messenger in the list displayed after clicking on "Internet Access Rules"?

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
aaroncoughlin

Hi Pete,

Thankyou for your reply, not sure if you saw in my previous post but i did include in my post that i was able to see Windows Live Messenger in "Internet Access Rules" and it was indeed ticked, apologies if it wasnt made clear to you.

Many Thanks,

Aaron Coughlin.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

Hi Aaron,

Sorry for the confusion!  Windows messenger uses different ports and protocols depending on what part of the application you're trying to use.

As a result you may need to select Firewall>Internet Access Rules>Advanced and add in the ports and protocols as described in the following microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927847

This should resolve your issue.

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
aaroncoughlin

Hi Pete,

No problem hehe, yeah i thought that from looking around and i guessed you guys would know the exact ports and protocols to allow.

Following your advice, i successfully can now use Windows Live Messenger and all its functions, so thankyou.  I hope anyone else who encounters the same problem i faced will read this and be problem free like me!

Thanks again Pete, really appreciate your help and time.

Take Care And Regards,

Aaron Coughlin

Please use plain text.