Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Brainbox
danpalmer1993

Xbox 360 DNS Error

Hi All,

I have been trying to connect my Xbox 360 to Xbox Live and it keeps failing at the DNS stage. It has worked before so I am not sure why it isn't working now :smileyfrustrated: My current setup is a belkin router and 2 homeplugs for the Xbox 360.

I have set DNS to manual and used the Virgin Media DNS servers as well as other servers and it won't connect. I have also set the IP to static and manually entered the IP, Subnet and Gateway and allowed it into the DMZ. I have tried connecting via my laptop to the IP and the DNS. MAC Filtering is also not enabled.s

I have been told to contact you by Microsoft as it could well be a problem with the routing tables.

I appreciate your and I hope this can be resolved otherwise I may have to look elsewhere :smileysad:

Thanks Dan

Currently a HAPPY virgin media customer :smileyhappy:

TV and Phone XL, BB 30Mb, V+ HD Box and 2 V HD Boxes on there way.

If I have helped you out or given you an answer please give me kudos or mark the answer as helpful :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Jonno12321

Re: Xbox 360 DNS Error

I would consider putting your IP settings and DNS Settings back to Automatic on your xbox and testing your connection to Xbox Live.

If that doesn't work then connect your Xbox directly to your modem or SuperHub.

If that doesn't work you may need to log into your router and disable the firewall (or at least set it to a lower setting).

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
danpalmer1993

It doesnt work if all settings are Automatic. I cant connect it directly due to it being a flight of stairs and 3 walls away however I can plug my laptop in and it works.

Currently a HAPPY virgin media customer :smileyhappy:

TV and Phone XL, BB 30Mb, V+ HD Box and 2 V HD Boxes on there way.

If I have helped you out or given you an answer please give me kudos or mark the answer as helpful :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Boethius

Don't use the XBOX on your guest network because it doesn't work well.

Set the security type on your router to the lowest that's compatible with your XBOX and I think that's WEP security.

Choose a password that's not complex so you can copy it easily.

Manually put in all settings to your XBOX with the virgin media DNS translator addresses.

Turn the XBOX and the router off.

Turn the router on and leave it for five minutes then try the XBOX again.

Please use plain text.