Forum Manager (Retired)
Mark_Retired

Upstream P2P Traffic Management Trial Feeback - Latency and Ping

[ Edited ]

After the successful out of hours trial of our combined upstream and downstream file sharing traffic management policy we will be trialling this new policy between 17:00 and 00:00 (12:00 and 00:00 at weekends) for one week starting on Wednesday 2nd of March.

Between these times P2P and Newsgroup upstream traffic will be managed in a similar way to our current downstream traffic management. If the trial is successful we'll launch the new policy immediately.

We're interested if you could tell us how this affects your gaming experience over the next few days and if you see any general improvement in latency and ping at peak times.

Note: Please stay on topic, this thread is for technical feedback on the trial not about the policy in general.

Please use plain text.
A regular I
jestahr

Re: Upstream P2P Traffic Management Trial Feeback - Latency and Ping

My reply got deleted for some reason?

Today I log into RIFT, and I have a constantly high ms, which spikes higher in busy areas. This problem happened during the beta, but for me it was gone during headstart and has been fine for a week. Today it's back. During the same times as before, 5ish to midnightish, seemingly in time with your management.

Please use plain text.
Just joined
Artizan

[ Edited ]

I play WoW and have done since the original beta.  Blizzard have moved to p2p for their game updates , so I will wait and see how this affects my experience.

Does the p2p include data sent and received by online games such as WoW?

I found this site and forum as I have experienced tonight very slow speeds with high lag and latency.  After contacting vigin support, they are sending a new modem, which I don't believe is the problem, it deffinately feels like the connection is throttled, and I am not a high user by any standards, down from 9.5 to 1.7 is just not great especially for a low volume user of less than 10 gb per month.

I hope this is not due to this project and will see if things improve over the next week, the new modem being sent will be here in a couple of days and will report back later.

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
STARSBarry

[ Edited ]

well im used to the slow speeds on virgin, but yesterday was abysmal, as in I was gonna write a nice long reply.... but the internet was so bad it took 15 minutes to load every forum page and half the time cut out.... funnly enough starting exactly the same time your trial took place.... just a heads up but can you make sure you didnt hit the switch marked all internet instead of just the one marked P2P? also on rift report..... normally its bad but yesterday it was even worse, as in steady ms of around 3k spiking to 50k (normaly its 300ms peak time spiking to 30k)

Please use plain text.
Just joined
Del528

[ Edited ]

Im also playing Rift and the game was fine no latency problems, then all of a sudden from yesterday my game starts lagging out and nothing working.  I look at my latency in game and its varying from 560ms to 15000ms, same again today.  Is it a coincidence this is happening same time you start your trial? i don't think so.  I pay money for a service from yourselves and your failing it.  I also bought a game i can no long realistically play with lag like what im getting now, so please turn off your trial its not working.

Edit:  Just checked if i was getting the same issues on both US and EU servers and seems only get this problem when connecting to US servers if that helps.

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely I
Kutu

From around 5pm or so this evening I have been experiencing varying pings with RIFT.

My ping can range between 450ms to anywhere over 5k+. Its worth to note that I played most of the beta's with little to no latency issues at all.

I would have to reckon that it is this trial which is adversly affecting the game. 

Please use plain text.
Just joined
PhotoMorph

Once again more bad service, cannot get online with the Playstation 3, which is throwing out error 80710092, started at about 17.10pm or so tonight, spent over an hour researching this and finally managed to see a post that said Sony had replied that it was a Virgin Media problem (no suprise there) so i'm guessing its to do with this super duper P2P thing, i am unable to go into my account management or playstation store, or in fact online, i ring up to speak to some bloke i cannot understand who claims he has no training (this i can believe) he puts me through to someone else i cannot understand, who then tells me he wants £10 before he will help! i'm logging it all down. :manmad:

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
STARSBarry

but it cant be there trial afterall they assure us that the incredibly high pings that start and end at exactly 4PM and 12AM have absolutely nothing to do with there traffic managment system, so how can a trial of a new "improved" and hopefully for me contract breaking traffic managment system negativly effect an MMO we have been assured is not effected by traffic managment that considently has problems starting and finishing at the exact same times as there traffic managment system kicks in that would be stupid

well its a good thing I got a new singleplayer game on becouse now the internet in general is unusable... im hoping this reply actualy gets sent this time.... its bottled out twice now perhaps il come back to a stack of the same reply who knows, took me 30 mins to get to this web page.... same problem for 2 days.... starting and ending at the exact same times your trial shows.... funny that... im pretty certain google aint coming under P2P

1     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  2  1535 ms  1571 ms  1701 ms  194.145.148.184
  3   819 ms  1183 ms  1234 ms  82.0.245.1
  4   915 ms  1125 ms  1580 ms  glfd-bb-1a-xe-710-0.network.virginmedia.net [213
.105.175.85]
  5  1411 ms  1765 ms  1443 ms  glfd-bb-1b-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
5.172.6]
  6  1393 ms  1465 ms  1813 ms  manc-bb-1a-ae3-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
5.175.145]
  7  2143 ms  1507 ms  1326 ms  manc-bb-1b-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253
.187.178]
  8  1737 ms  1591 ms  1598 ms  tele-ic-3-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.
163.70]
  9  1051 ms  1132 ms  1051 ms  158-14-250-212.static.virginmedia.com [212.250.1
4.158]
 10  1944 ms  1760 ms  1900 ms  209.85.252.76
 11  1995 ms  2164 ms  2236 ms  209.85.251.56
 12  1145 ms  1271 ms  1380 ms  74.125.230.116

Trace complete.

yeah so is this just me..... or what?

Please use plain text.
Just joined
Teliara

The latency started getting bad for me yesterday play 'RIFT' to the point I was getting booted every 10 mins and all skills have a 2 second delay.
Today though it has gotten a lot worse. 400ms - 8000ms ping in game. avg 10 sec delay on everything I do.
I have rebooted the modem. Router, PC's etc. Bypassed router and just used the Modem. All other Internet related stuff is fine. Download speeds are great. It's just the connection to the game for me that's unplayable.
Tried calling Virgin and on hold for 30mins before I gave up.

Link to forums on the rift site: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?104870-High-latency-in-the-UK-amp-Virgin-Media

Please use plain text.
Just joined
Rnosa

[ Edited ]

On topic - This trial is a fail as I can not play games or use my internet for what it is supposed to be used for in the evening.

Please use plain text.