Menu
piotr1988
Joining in
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

vm online lagg

hello, i have just joind virgine media 100Mbps. i have problems with connection. my dl and upl speeds are crazy. sometimes my dl is 30 sometimes 80.. but all the time i have lag when playing online. i have vm hub 3. my ps4 is connected by cabel. please help. i did portforwarding but it nothing helps.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: vm online lagg

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
piotr1988
Joining in
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator

i have different speed every time i check. if i pu 192.168.100.1 it doesnt work. page is not displayed. like no connection with internet. i check my speed now is 85 but still online gaming lagging on my ps4.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator

You could try http://192.168.0.1 instead but both URLs should work and if it doesn't then maybe the hub needs to be rebooted to get access to the GUI working again.

What are you testing your speed on?  If it is the PS4 then that is not a reliable way to measure line speed, it only tests the speed to the Sony servers which can give different results every time.  Best to use a PC or Mac to test speeds.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
piotr1988
Joining in
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

i checked speeds on www.speedtest.net on pc on cable connection. its download 86, upload 6, ping 22. it looks ok but when i play online i have lagg. maybe this portforwarding is **bleep**... i can do only for one device... this router works no good i think so.. i dont know ;/
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

For a peak time test those speeds don't sound too bad.

You could try putting the hub into modem mode (although that does require access to the GUI) with just the PS4 connected to rule out any port forwarding issues as this would feed all traffic direct to the PS4 with no routing or forwarding.  If it works better in modem mode then you could get your own third party router and attach it to the hub instead.  I have always used my own router and never had any issues gaming on PS3 or PS4 with no port forwarding required, my router just works.

0 Kudos
piotr1988
Joining in
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

if i put router to "modem mode" how after put it back on router settings if 192.168.100.1 not working for me? 192.168.0.1 works. i never put router in modem mode. i can easily put it back later?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator

With most of the VM hubs 192.168.100.1 works in both router and modem mode.  I'm guessing you have a Hub 3 which may behave differently and only allow 192.168.100.1 to work when in modem mode. I don't have one of those hubs so can't test this theory.

If you are unable to access 192.168.100.1 in modem mode you can always do a pin hole reset to get back to router mode (see last section of the modem mode instructions), although this will reset all network settings and remove all port forwarding settings.  Probably worth backing up your settings first just in case via the menus Admin > Reload and Reboot > Backup.

If 192.168.0.1 is working then you could post the hub stats I asked for previously to see if there are any obvious power issues that need correcting, as if there are then modem mode won't fix them.

0 Kudos
piotr1988
Joining in
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator

btw thank you very much for helping me. ok can you tell me what i should exactly copy and show you?? i dont know much about that ;( if you can give me any example or something.. thx
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator

If you have a look at this post then you can see screen grabs of the downstream & upstream channels and the network log:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Not-amused-VM-ticket-reference-F004609103/m-p/3269301#M138...

That is the information I'm looking for to see if your power levels are looking healthy.

0 Kudos