My issue is a bit confusing. I play online games with friends, and recently I have been getting a lot of "instances not found" in world of warcraft, which means if i queue with friends to do battlegrounds/ranked arena (different servers), I get removed from the group, and I cannot enter. This issue is happening with all online games and has now made queueing with friends impossible as 7/10 times i can get the instance not found, I have also noticed when I open webpages the first time i open pages it does not always load and I have to reload a few times to make them work. while this happens I am still connected to the internet as I can have youtube/twitch/voip open and thier will be no interruptions to service. I have rung your broadband support but they didnt really understand, and sent me out the latest hub (version 3). I am wired to the hub, I have tried different ethernet cables/re-installing my OS/running all antivirus/ and disabled all firewalls but still get the same issue. I believe I am seeing this issue on my partners PC also. which leads me to belive its something to do with the ISP not my equipment.
I am really sorry for your poor gaming experience, and shall do whatever I can to help. Tests of your Hub show a few T3 timeouts, nothing extensive, but worth keeping an eye on.
Also your network segment shows a number of upstream errors. These are auto-correcting but have been consistently occurring for the past week, maybe longer. Work on your network is being carried out today and it's likely these errors will be removed during the process.
However, I shall check on your connection again tomorrow to see if there are any more. Once we've established that today's work is complete, and if the errors continue, I'll take a different investigation path.