Menu
iceman316
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

slower connection speeds on ps4

hi, I have recently moved to virgin media (today) and on my pc I get 200mb+ dl speeds but on my ps4 I can only reach between 35 and 50 dl speeds, the ul speed isn't too great either. Any help would be greatly appreciated as surely I should be getting more than what I am .......

0 Kudos
Big-Gaz
Up to speed
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: slower connection speeds on ps4

Hi,

I have the same with my PS4, but my Xbox One is fine.
Firewall is turned off and both consoles and local fixed IPs.

Xbox One is in DMZ and I tried putting the PS4 in the DMZ but made no differences.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection for the PS4 or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is best.

The Sony speed tests on PS3 & PS4 are notorious for not reflecting the true speed of your connection because they only use a single threaded download.  Have a look at these posts where myself and others have discussed it previously:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/PS4-Speed/m-p/3022336 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/PS4-Speeds/m-p/3028580

I found a speed test that works on the PS4 browser and has a multi threaded download option, try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

iceman316
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have heard m8 that xbox have a faster dl with virgin than ps4, its a joke lol

0 Kudos
iceman316
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thanks for your help I will take a look

0 Kudos
Big-Gaz
Up to speed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I am wired with a new Cat 5e ethernet cable, and have the correct ports open.
Thought I do have the Firewall all unticked, so it shouldn't be blocking any ports.

Will try the speedtest later.

Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi iceman316

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy Sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your PS4 connection. When checking your hub there are some problems showing with the downstream power levels and the modem SNR. We'll need to arrange an engineer visit to get this looked into so I'm going to send you a PM for some additional info. 

Speak soon 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos