Menu
crosby87
Joining in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

router check

Hi VM team,

I would be very grateful if you could check my connection for any problems. The connection is superb for everything except for gaming on Xbox 360 - the only game I play is CoD, but it is almost unusable. I am constantly connected with no dropouts, but in every game (not exaggerating!) I am seemingly a second behind everyone else, not to mention all the other problems that comes with a slow connection on a FPS. It started about two years ago and has been getting worse ever since. For some reason I have sometimes managed to get a decent connection by switching things up like moving my Xbox to a different room or starting a new Xbox live account (not sure how this is relevant?) but the benefits have never lasted more than a few days each time and even this has stopped helping.

I play with a wired connection, although wireless makes no difference. I have tested both the network cables and the Xbox itself and they check out fine. My PC ping is 9ms, u/l is 12 mb/s and d/l is 47 mb/s, which obviously I'm delighted with. When I try the "network statistics" option on the Xbox I get 0% loss and similarly good speed figures, but the latency is constantly around 156-158ms whether wired or wireless; am I right in thinking this is the cause of the problem or is this normal? I've gone through and changed setting after setting on the Superhub config trying to find a solution. My ports are open (although Xbox sometimes tells me my NAT is moderate even when I just reconfigured the router to open them, using DMZ/uPnP/forwarding), so it's not that either.

Please let me know if there's any other information you need from me.

Hope you can help and thanks in advance guys.

0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: router check

I have the exact same issue and its been almkst a month since i posted on here and still no solution.
post a traceroute to a cod server as it will show where the latency is showing.
0 Kudos
crosby87
Joining in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

As requested. This is to the BO2 server from your own topic; even though I only play the MW series I hope this may be some use as I couldn't find any addresses for MW servers.

0 Kudos
crosby87
Joining in
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I have read the VM traceroutes guide but unfortunately have no way of performing a wired tracert without dismantling my computer and rebuilding it next to the router, which I will do if I have to! Please let me know if the one posted above is any use first.

0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I think we have same issue as your traceroute result is almost same as mine.
i can see the latency gets over 100ms from hop 11 onwards which is in the telia infrastruture and there is nothing virgin can do.
you can try contact telia directly just google telia and teliasonera should come up.
maybe also you can contact activision as it could be on their end.
Just for comparison is your connection ok for playing other games or is laten
cy the only issue for cod?
let me know if you get this solved as i have same issue!
0 Kudos
crosby87
Joining in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Is there anyone from VM that can confirm this?

CoD is the only game I play really - I play Trackmania on and off too but latency doesn't affect that at all, all that matters there is that I stay connected, which I do. CoD is the only thing my latency affects which is why I haven't queried it since it started two years ago. When I played back then it was bad until exactly 10pm every night when it seemed like someone somewhere hit a switch and my connection would then be flawless for the rest of the evening, but then the 10pm improvement stopped happening a few months later and it is now just bad all the time.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Crosby87,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're also having trouble with CoD. I believe your issus is the same as Lee2s looking at your traceroutes. We've run extensive tests on our end to see what is happening with Lee2s connection and everything looks perfectly fine from our end. I would still suggest trying modem mode and safe mode just to see if this helps at all. Modem mode will change your IP address and thus the route your connection takes to that server so it may bypass the problem hop. 

Let us know when you get a chance to try modem mode and safe mode.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

John, is it possible tht the issue could be on activisions end? Is it worth contacting them? Sometimes its ok but most of the time the latency is really bad which might be my connection to their servers? is it worth changing router settings like mtu?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Lee2 wrote:
I think we have same issue as your traceroute result is almost same as mine.
i can see the latency gets over 100ms from hop 11 onwards which is in the telia infrastruture and there is nothing virgin can do.
you can try contact telia directly just google telia and teliasonera should come up.
maybe also you can contact activision as it could be on their end.
Just for comparison is your connection ok for playing other games or is laten
cy the only issue for cod?
let me know if you get this solved as i have same issue!

You do realise that from Hop 9 onwards you're acutally in the US.  100ms+ ping times are to be expected.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
crosby87
Joining in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, I will try that later tonight and let you know.

I have to admit I understand next to nothing about this sort of thing but I was under the impression that MW3 and MW2 - the ones I play - use p2p hosting rather than dedicated servers and therefore I should be connected to hosts and players in my area, shouldn't I? So I wouldn't be matched with US players in theory, the hops should be fewer and with less distance between them. So I don't think this explains why in every single game I play a second behind no matter which player is the host and where he/she is in the world. I'm still worried by the 156-158ms ping on the Xbox statistics unless it's trying to find a Microsoft server in America or something, in which case it's a pretty meaningless number for the Xbox to show me. Would appreciate any clarification on that.
0 Kudos