Menu
simpsonsmad
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ps4 keeps loosing connection to internet

Keeps loosing internet connection in middle of games but lets us reconnect immediately  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ps4 keeps loosing connection to internet

simpsonsmad wrote:

is there anyway to make it work upstairs wireless i have bought a booster and it makes no difference hub is downstairs so keeping it connected is not an option.Would a updated hub make a difference i have the first one . 

I have seen plenty of posts on here that say the WiFi on the original super hub was very very bad.  I have also seen plenty of posts complaining about the WiFi on all the other VM hubs, but I think that is to be expected with a free wireless router.  I have my own 3rd party router and no WiFi issues, but even so I still have my PS4 wired.

You can use power line network adapters that use the electricity wires in your house to create a wired data network.  These can still encounter interference but less so than WiFi and in your case might be dependant on your upstairs and downstairs sockets being on the same ring main.  The quality of the wiring in your house can also impact on the reliability and speed.

More info about home networking options here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/home-networking.html

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is the PS4 connected to the super hub using a wired Ethernet connection or a wireless connection?

Is it one specific game or all online games?

Have you got any other devices connected to your hub?  If so do they lose connection to the Internet at the same time as the PS4 and how are they connected?

Just trying to get clues to see if this is exclusively a PS4 issue or maybe a wider WiFi or broadband connection issue.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
simpsonsmad
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi it is connected wireless and it it is every game we have at least 4 other devises connected with no problems all connected wireless and it is only ps4 that is affected 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you try connecting the PS4 with an Ethernet cable, just as a test to see if it makes a difference?  Wireless speeds can fluctuate and gaming servers can be more "sensitive" to these changes than other servers.

0 Kudos
simpsonsmad
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi will bring it downstairs and try it will let you know if it works 

simpsonsmad
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi yep it worked no problems being connected 

0 Kudos
simpsonsmad
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

is there anyway to make it work upstairs wireless i have bought a booster and it makes no difference hub is downstairs so keeping it connected is not an option.Would a updated hub make a difference i have the first one . 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

simpsonsmad wrote:

I have seen plenty of posts on here that say the WiFi on the original super hub was very very bad.  I have also seen plenty of posts complaining about the WiFi on all the other VM hubs, but I think that is to be expected with a free wireless router.  I have my own 3rd party router and no WiFi issues, but even so I still have my PS4 wired.

You can use power line network adapters that use the electricity wires in your house to create a wired data network.  These can still encounter interference but less so than WiFi and in your case might be dependant on your upstairs and downstairs sockets being on the same ring main.  The quality of the wiring in your house can also impact on the reliability and speed.

More info about home networking options here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/home-networking.html

0 Kudos
simpsonsmad
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

got some power line network adapters and now works with no problems thank you for all your help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

simpsonsmad wrote:

got some power line network adapters and now works with no problems thank you for all your help

Glad to hear you have a solution.  Always happy to help out a fellow PS4 owner Smiley Happy