Menu
hmt0212
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ps4 connection problems

Hello there. I can connect other wireless devices to my hub, but when it comes to the PS4 it seems to be having trouble. The password is ok but it says 'download speed 7.6kb' and upload speed failed. They are in different rooms, is that a factor? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: ps4 connection problems

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) so it is not something VM can control or guarantee, no ISP can.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.  The only thing VM will suggest is trying different wireless channels, they have a guide here.

There is also a sticky post at the top of the networking board with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

One option might be powerline adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  This should provide a much better connection and wireless with the added bonus of less in game lag than wireless.   Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

I have my PS4 connected by Ethernet cable and all the online gaming guides recommend a wired connection for stability and less lag.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
dazjones7
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi my son has a PS4 and an Xbox one and both consoles are losing connection.  There is another thread on this for Xbox user and Virgin Media are aware of a problem.  See enclosed link : http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Why-do-i-keep-disconnecting-from-Xbox-Live-on-my-...

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

**bleep** people search the forums for answers.

I have been posting for years to say the SH is useless for gaming. It just cant handle the data quick enough.

Go Modem mode, and add you own router.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Omar7733
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Redgooner Hello you have not replied to my post again. You told me to speak to the CEO I have been in touch with his team and I got a response from them but they haven't done anything.  I don't believe it's just the SUPER HUB 3 it's more to do with how Virgin Media is connecting to Playstation Servers. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can we please stay on topic in relation to the OP's original query.

Many thanks

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

hmt0212
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ah thank you, this gives me some useful starting points as a non technical person!

0 Kudos