Menu
mobsly
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

ps network

ok fed up know

been with virgin for years never a problem that count get fixed but this new one driving me mad

since monday cant log into playstation network ebay or ikea (there maybe others but these ones that stick out), using virgin internet if i turn off wireless on phone i can access the network,ebay and ikea

went round to friends used there network there on bt logged into all the sites above

neighbours wifi used theres they let me use there password logged into all above

done reset of everything even changed virgin hub to a modem still no joy keep getting access denied 

so ip blocked but virgin said this is fine

any help please virgin 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ps network

Sounds like your IP address has been blacklisted by Akamai who are know to host servers for Ikea & eBay and I think I read somewhere that they also provide services for PSN with regard to protecting against DDOS attacks.

You are not alone in having issues:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Access-Denied-issues-again/td-p/3312873

Getting a new IP address should fix it and the only sure fire way of doing that is to change from router mode to modem mode (or vice versa) as that will allocate you a different IP address.

There is anecdotal evidence of other customers calling VM and getting support to change their IP address, but staff on here normally say it can't be done.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Glad to hear it is now OK, either your IP changed or the ban was lifted. They are usually only short term bans.

It should last as long as you have the same IP address and VM IPs are usually fairly sticky, but you can increase your chances of keeping the same IP by not turning your hub off for long periods of time.

If you are using your current hub in modem mode with your own Netgear router and you are happy with it then I'd say stick with it.  There are many issues with the new Hub 3 (look around the forum) which could offset any potential improvements in wireless range.  The biggest being the increased latency caused by a problem with the Intel Puma 6 chipset in the Hub 3, click HERE for more info.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds like your IP address has been blacklisted by Akamai who are know to host servers for Ikea & eBay and I think I read somewhere that they also provide services for PSN with regard to protecting against DDOS attacks.

You are not alone in having issues:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Access-Denied-issues-again/td-p/3312873

Getting a new IP address should fix it and the only sure fire way of doing that is to change from router mode to modem mode (or vice versa) as that will allocate you a different IP address.

There is anecdotal evidence of other customers calling VM and getting support to change their IP address, but staff on here normally say it can't be done.

mobsly
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

bloody funny thing get email from psn about my ip not on any blocked list and to there knowledge they have sent no request to ban or on any ban list blacklist ever.

But just after reading the email i could log into all the sites i was denied access too EBAY IKEA PSN  

just wondering how long it will last

must give thanks to virgin they sent out new hub hub 3 should i use it or stick with my basic hub just wondering what the wireless range is on the hub3 as i use netgear router for wireless range old house walls a foot thick

again thanks 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Glad to hear it is now OK, either your IP changed or the ban was lifted. They are usually only short term bans.

It should last as long as you have the same IP address and VM IPs are usually fairly sticky, but you can increase your chances of keeping the same IP by not turning your hub off for long periods of time.

If you are using your current hub in modem mode with your own Netgear router and you are happy with it then I'd say stick with it.  There are many issues with the new Hub 3 (look around the forum) which could offset any potential improvements in wireless range.  The biggest being the increased latency caused by a problem with the Intel Puma 6 chipset in the Hub 3, click HERE for more info.

Highlighted
mobsly
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Its happening again played on the network for 3 hours yesterday 24 jan but tried today 25 jan cant log in the network is saying all running but no access 

in reference to your last post a ban lasts couple days why would i have been banned i only use the laptop for emails bill paying and odd game and only  us the playstation for gaming

the playstation support team says that its a ip fault, nothing there side is blocking so again its a routing problem but from which end virgin or playstation

looks like a change to xbox and new internet provider if this occurs to often

just checked ebay and ikea i can log into ebay but not ikea get this 

(You don't have permission to access "http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/" on this server.

Reference #18.580655f.1485341888.3d38d41)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It depends if you still have the same IP address as you had before or not.  It is not necessarily something that you have done that is causing the ban if you have been assigned a different IP then the previous user of that IP could have done something to trigger the ban.

If your IP has not changed since the last ban then it does suggest that something that you are doing is triggering it, or possibly something on your home network e.g. Malware on a PC could be doing something that triggers it.

According to Akamai you need to contact Ikea support and ask them what "Reference #18.580655f.1485341888.3d38d41" means and that reference should give them enough info to explain why you are being blocked.  Knowing why the block is occurring might help to track down the root cause.

The Sony support staff sound like they are fobbing you off. A routing issue seems unlikely as, in the case of Ikea at least, you are reaching the server and getting that error from the Ikea server (or the Akamai server that sits between you and the Ikea web server). The most likely explanation for both Sony and Ikea to be preventing access is that the Akamai protection system they use has banned your IP because it detected an issue with the IP address e.g. It was used as part of a DDOS attack or other type of network abuse.

Changing ISP and console is unlikely to help if something on your home network is triggering this as Microsoft will use similar IP bans to protect their network.  Not sure if they use Akamai's services but they will have something similar in place if they don't.

0 Kudos
mobsly
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

no nothing on my comp or network checked with the latest spam cleaners commercial program spyhunter plus microsoft updated weekly all updated 

i don't download that much as i have no need 

only regular visited sites is youtube  both laptop and ps 4 and steam

i must admit i don't use virus software as of a month or two,  been having problems with them and windows conflicting over firewall access and blocking nearly anything that i do so removed the virus checker got a free avg from avg doh and been using that 

this as been the way for years even when son had is comp networked in but  hes left home 5 months ago 

anyway it returned about 1.30 pm today and been ok so far.

0 Kudos
D_Burgess1981
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Is there a U.K .base phone number for Akamai I have tried contacting a company by the same name but admittedly I don't know what I am doing or even sure if this is the right number or company I tried ringing 01784 225400 is this correct or is there a better number to contact ?

I am waiting for the above mentioned number to ring me back but as said I am unsure if that is the right one 

0 Kudos
D_Burgess1981
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have been unable to log into Play station network now for over a week because of the dreaded WS-37397-9

when I turn my phone into a wifi hotspot it works fine
It does not work fine on home wifi or with a lan cable
there are various sites that say access is denied or dont display properly
playstation network say there is no block 
my technical friend at home says there is no block or any change from our ISP

I am litterally at my wits end don't know what to do 

I am currently getting PSn to check my Ip again
 I am trying to get into contact with Akamai 

any other suggestions or ideas are welcome as to what to check for a possible fix 

0 Kudos
mobsly
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

dont know if this helps as you are still not connected but when i had the problem it sorted it self out in 3 days or so twice in as many weeks

there was no problems with virgin or ps network 

i did a little experiment as my problem seemed to coincide with grandson visits and it turned out to be while he was logged into ps network watching utube and playing on my account and i was watching utube on my laptop in the other room it seamed to trigger a dos attack at Akamai dont know why but 3 days or so later no ban.

stopped watching utube or even logging into laptop when playstation on and no ban so far.

side note can you log into ebay or visit there site also i think ikea and there site they also go thrue akami

also just remembered i changed my ip address on my router as i have two i turned the virgin hub to a modem as i have a external router better for wireless connection doing this gave me a new ip address and solved the second time ban

0 Kudos