Menu
mannyshere
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

low speed, lagging, high pings, connection

I have been a VM customer for a number of years now and never had any real issues with broadband.  over the last few months have had major issues with disconnects, low speeds (between 2MB - 30MB on a 150MB plan) lagging when playing online with high pings up to 400ms at times.

I was kept being told to reboot router etc. which never did really resolve the issue, i was then told it was due to upgrades on the cable to make way for 200MB speeds (i don't get them until September / November) if thats the case why i am paying for 150 speeds should i not be billed for 50MB until the cable upgrade is completed?

These issues don't make a difference if on WIFI or Wired, i was then told to switch the Shub 2 into router mode - which i did and still no improvement.

I then brought a high end ( £200 yes i know way too much but it was made for cable and gaming!))wireless router to connect to the hub to see if this made a difference and still i have the same issues.

now with all these changes surely there is something else at fault here? hoping to get some proper help and answers Smiley Frustrated 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: low speed, lagging, high pings, connection

Hello Mannyshere

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you've been having issues with gaming in the evenings. I've just checked your connection and can see that you are affected high peak time area traffic, we are planning to carry out upgrade work ref  F003430777 with an estimated review date of 27 JUL 2016. This will cause poor speeds and latency at peak times such as evenings and weekends, I would like to assure you that you are not being traffic managed. I notice you have called in and we are already dealing with the credit side of things.

Thank you for your patience.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos

All Replies
El_Curt
Tuning in
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sound exactly like my issues pal  even bought my own  overpriced router , posted my first complaint in January , still happening wishing you luck !

0 Kudos
mannyshere
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

oh jeez i hope i don't have to wait till November!! thats ridiculous... i wonder if its even worth stopping with VM anymore as theres no way that i get anything close to 100MB speeds..... have heard good things about BT cable version 76MB... always get what you pay for and i bet more reliable.

0 Kudos
El_Curt
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Where i am if you want anything over 5mbps , its virgin .. or maybe sky for like 13 mbps , no infinity in my area yet so that rules bt out , although i am thinking of using carrier pigeons between 8pm and 11pm to fly and get the data for me ...

id take slower speed for better routing ( lowing the pings if playing) as many games dont need high bandwitch

0 Kudos
mannyshere
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

they need to be some big pigeons to carry that much data!  :smiley tongue: i was also told by one VM advisor that i would get more disruption in the evenings then during the day as they tend to carry out the work in the evenings on the cable line than during the day.... i think they are just making it up as they go along.

the main thing is if you have a very reliable internet service/connection then the speed isn't a bog issue at least you get a decent connection and like you say don't need that much for gaming..... so why is it so useless... i don't think VM is made for gaming tbh as it can't seem to handle it.

0 Kudos
Ihavethepower
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Don't get your hopes up my speed has already been boosted to 200mbps but even when my download speed is say 170mbps the lag continues.

What I have found that helps with the lag.

Superhub in modem mode connect it to your router enable QOS on your router and set ps4 or what ever gaming console to highest priority.

I've done this and it really does help to keep the ping down. Before I did this my ping was shooting up and down from 30 to 400. Now it's alot more stable but occasionally I still get lag issues.

Yesterday for example I was playing rocket league and blops3 all day fine then started to get lag issues around 9pm.

Which sucks but before I enable QOS I wasn't able to play online at all due to lag.

Good luck on this issue it does suck big time I never had a problem with my broadband until they increased the speeds to 200mbps. Typical. I'd rather have a solid connection.
0 Kudos
mannyshere
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I dare not hold my breath!

I have set all that up on QoS and during the day it's fine but come evening it's horrendous!

Never really had an issue until they upgraded to 152mbps! So looks like there will be more misery come November!

I am wondering if they are throttling the speed etc on the evenings as it's always at the same times every single day, why wake would it happen consistently?

0 Kudos
sinister0208
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Bandwidth really doesn't play much of a role in gaming, for example you only need between 64kbps to 128kbps to play Black Ops 3 on PS4. Since they upgraded me from 60 Mbps to 100 Mbps I have had the same issue especially after 6pm. QoS might help a bit, but the issue lies with VM so even if your local (home) connection is setup to mitigate lag, you will still encounter high latency at peak times. I have also tested it with modem mode on (with Netduma router) and with it off, same problem.

Have a look at this video by Netduma, for more information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTEFJcEPGk8

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I do not work for Virgin Media, I just want to share what I know to help others. Information I share may differ from VM advice.

Connection info:

Superhub 3

Download: 100 Mbps
Upload: 6 Mbps
Local cabinet: End of my drive (5 metres)
Local exchange: 400 metres from my house
Power levels (downstream): 3 to 4 dBmV (16 channels)
Power levels (upstream): 42 dBmV
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Mannyshere

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you've been having issues with gaming in the evenings. I've just checked your connection and can see that you are affected high peak time area traffic, we are planning to carry out upgrade work ref  F003430777 with an estimated review date of 27 JUL 2016. This will cause poor speeds and latency at peak times such as evenings and weekends, I would like to assure you that you are not being traffic managed. I notice you have called in and we are already dealing with the credit side of things.

Thank you for your patience.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
mannyshere
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for you reply!

I am glad one way that it wasn't me going mad and thinking all kinds of things!

I did call months ago but no one has mentioned any credit to me? Can you clarify that point please?
0 Kudos