Menu
Ihavethepower
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

broadband quality monitor

Hi guys, I've started a quality monitor today,

I keep getting buffering on movies and games are unplayable online, I'm hoping one or more of you Tech Savvy guys will have a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/e9ff42d43d4a7c6af9fc83576626eb25.html

My speeds vary from 30mbps to 170mbps but no matter what speed I'm getting I still seem to get lag issues.

Thanks for your help

[200mbps - Superhub 2 - PC gaming Ethernet connected]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: broadband quality monitor

You likely have something downloading or uploading which will buffer your upto rate limit in the super hub if the bandwidth is available. You might not even know what device is doing this but it likely is so disable the wireless in the super hub and have only one PC connected for an hour if fine then test buffing your connection by running a speed test with a ping -t running.
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

you can run your own QoS to improve buffing if there is the bandwidth available and you don't buffer back in the super hub rate limit or you buffer in the downstream QoS of the CMTS if the bandwidth is not available if the set limit you set is to high for the upstream if the bandwidth is not available you buffer in the modem if the set limit you set is to high.

But you can also buffer on/in route but thats another thing.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What other devices (or other software) do you have running?

0 Kudos
Ihavethepower
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Generally I just have tablet and phone connected using the wifi and my pc and ps4 is connected wired.

Tablet and phone are mostly used for Facebook and streaming Netflix.

I've tried in modem only mode previously before I started monitoring my connection and still got the same type of lag issues.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You likely have something downloading or uploading which will buffer your upto rate limit in the super hub if the bandwidth is available. You might not even know what device is doing this but it likely is so disable the wireless in the super hub and have only one PC connected for an hour if fine then test buffing your connection by running a speed test with a ping -t running.
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

you can run your own QoS to improve buffing if there is the bandwidth available and you don't buffer back in the super hub rate limit or you buffer in the downstream QoS of the CMTS if the bandwidth is not available if the set limit you set is to high for the upstream if the bandwidth is not available you buffer in the modem if the set limit you set is to high.

But you can also buffer on/in route but thats another thing.

Ihavethepower
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information

The first speed test that I had done on dslreports.com Download bufferbloat was ok but upload Bufferbloat was over 300ms

the overall rating was a D for bufferbloat.

I put the superhub in modem mode and connected my own router did what you said enabled QOS set upload to 10.00mbps as I think you set it lower than the actual upload speed? is that right? The upload speed I am getting is 12mbps ish

The results seem to be a lot better, I just hope it stays this way online gaming at the moment is great, getting around 30ms on black ops 3 on PS4 Ping is no longer jumping up and down.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ihavethepower wrote:

I put the superhub in modem mode and connected my own router did what you said enabled QOS set upload to 10.00mbps as I think you set it lower than the actual upload speed? is that right? The upload speed I am getting is 12mbps ish

Its more the download you do that too the upload you can set closer to the limit but only if you can always get your upload speed as at peak times if you can only get say 7Mb and you set it to 10Mb your QoS does not do much to stop you buffing on a fixed QoS setting its tricky to have a QoS thats dynamic and their can be a delay for it to readjust and it can over under adjust to much or not under adjust enough their really is no good way to do it. The super hub downstream rate limiting buffer size is more optimized for 200Mb (no QoS but packets are dropped in a way that makes it buffer less at speed) but again only if you can always get your download speed as at peak times if you set to 200Mb but you can only get 60Mb you buffer but not in the super hub but at the CMTS and your subject to its QoS. Where as people with 50 or 100Mb the buffer size is to big for the rate limiting the super hub does put simply speed out is slower packets stay in the buffer longer before some get dropped but your still buffering as packets are slowly rate limited out.

Their is also different type of QoS that is Asymmetrical and Symmetrical but nothing to do with like your download as the same your upload no no it is way different then that and the only way to test is do a download and upload at the same time and run a ping to check which might be hard for you to check given your on 200Mb and how the buffer sizes are but it should show something which means setting your upload to half.

Running a stream download is a good test

0 Kudos