Menu
blueenchant
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

broadband cuts out at peak times

Hi. Im new to the community, for the last 6 months my services between 7pm and midnight. have been awful. I play a lot of games online with friends but it is impossible due to high ping and cut offs. my router used to be near electrical appliances but I moved it Because I got told it might mess with the signal. I have moved it to no where near anything electrical and is still the same.

0 Kudos
dangerf1sh
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: broadband cuts out at peak times

Exact same with me, my download speed for ps4 during the day usually is around 30mbps lowest being 15mbps, then around 19:00 is when I can't even get 1mbps. I've spoke to Virgin Media on the phone and they said maintenance is going on in my area or something like that? Its really wierd though and I always get this IP fragmentation message when I'm using a wired connection. And speaking of high ping, when playing rainbow six online mine usually goes from 64 ping to something likes 1000.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: broadband cuts out at peak times

Hi Blueenchant,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear you're getting poor latency and drop outs. We know full well how irritating this can be when trying to play games online. 

Before anything else it sounds like you're playing over wireless. Is that correct? If so I'd strongly recommend a wired connection as wireless is prone to a great many interferences and is not reliable for a stable connection that gaming would require.

I've checked your connection and can see that there is a contention fault in the area that will cause poor speeds and latency at peak times such as evenings and weekends. This is under ticket F003580245 and is due for review 30/03/16. This will explain the ping spikes but not the drop outs so I'd still suggest trying a wired connection to see if this improves things at all.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos