Menu
tomb1981
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Xbox help please!

Hi and thank you for taking the time to read this, I'll try to keep it short and informative...

I have an xbox one and play F1 2015 online regularly, I've just moved in with my girlfriend who has VM (I was Sky at my house).  Ever since moving I've had problems with my xbox disconnecting from xbox live quite regularly.

I'm using a mains power adapter so the connection is wired, we don't have the latest super hub 2, just the one before I think...  I've rang VM and have rebooted the router, port forwarded the router and had the power levels corrected but still the issue exists...  VM won't do anything about it or send an engineer out because their data suggest there is no problem with the connection.

I've read about putting the router in modem mode and connecting another one to it, I assume this is so I can isolate the xbox device to one router with no other device interruptions?  Is there anyone who has had this issue and resolved the issue?  I'm happy to buy an alternative router but no idea what to buy?  

Any help would be most appreciated 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Wizen
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Xbox help please!

Hi,

I had a bit of trouble with the Xbox getting a strict NAT intermittently, even after I correctly port-forwarded and assigned a static IP to the console. I can't honestly advise you that getting a third party router and sticking the VM hub in modem only mode will fix your issue, but I do think it's a good investment to make anyway. The wireless range, customization and reliability of many third party routers is significantly better than even the most modern hub (which I have) in my opinion. I put the VM hub in modem only mode and installed my router a few months ago, and haven't looked back since. 

I can personally recommend this as a relatively cheap alternative:

TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router

I picked mine up for around £40 on Ebay. It's solid as a rock, and has an excellent wireless range (I get a good signal from the side extension through an exteroir wall and across the house - which I was never able to do with my Sky hub or Virgin hub). It has gigabit ethernet, dual band wireless, guest wireless networks and a NAT firewall that isn't constantly on the fritz and blocking my Xbox traffic. It also has the ability to be flashed with things like DD-WRT, which is an added bonus if you're looking for extended functionality. 

As a side note, have you troubleshooted the powerline adapters? It might be worth testing your Xbox with a really long ethernet cable or wireless first. I've heard lots of stories about people having trouble with powerline kits in certain houses that have eccentric wiring, interference from particular devices, or different phases that stop them from working altogether. It could be something as simple as your powerline kit not being up to the job in the house you've just moved to.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted. Getting constantly kicked from games can be infuriating.

All Replies
Wizen
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

I had a bit of trouble with the Xbox getting a strict NAT intermittently, even after I correctly port-forwarded and assigned a static IP to the console. I can't honestly advise you that getting a third party router and sticking the VM hub in modem only mode will fix your issue, but I do think it's a good investment to make anyway. The wireless range, customization and reliability of many third party routers is significantly better than even the most modern hub (which I have) in my opinion. I put the VM hub in modem only mode and installed my router a few months ago, and haven't looked back since. 

I can personally recommend this as a relatively cheap alternative:

TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router

I picked mine up for around £40 on Ebay. It's solid as a rock, and has an excellent wireless range (I get a good signal from the side extension through an exteroir wall and across the house - which I was never able to do with my Sky hub or Virgin hub). It has gigabit ethernet, dual band wireless, guest wireless networks and a NAT firewall that isn't constantly on the fritz and blocking my Xbox traffic. It also has the ability to be flashed with things like DD-WRT, which is an added bonus if you're looking for extended functionality. 

As a side note, have you troubleshooted the powerline adapters? It might be worth testing your Xbox with a really long ethernet cable or wireless first. I've heard lots of stories about people having trouble with powerline kits in certain houses that have eccentric wiring, interference from particular devices, or different phases that stop them from working altogether. It could be something as simple as your powerline kit not being up to the job in the house you've just moved to.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted. Getting constantly kicked from games can be infuriating.

tomb1981
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply Wizen, really appreciated your input.

I am indeed going to look into the powerline adaptors first, its a 1930's house and probably doesn't have the most ideal wiring layout, I do get open NAT and good speeds but there could well be an interference affecting the line...  I will try a direct wired connection first as its an old house and the wireless struggles with the solid internal walls, if it doesn't work improve the situation at least I know the issue is then the router and then look into alternatives (thank you for the link to router too)

You're right it certainly is infuriating, especially with no effective advice or help from Virgin Media, their advice was to go look on forums or go buy another router! 

Thanks again :-)

0 Kudos