Menu
LoganZen
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Xbox Wireless connection issues after 3 months being fine

I got an Xbox one back in June and everything has worked fine but about a week ago, the connection has been dropping on and off. I am not playing online but downloading games from the store and the speed only goes between 400kbs and 1.5 mb max, it used to be 42mbs and downloads would fly along,

I also use Now TV and when streaming it goes from HD to fussy on and off through out the whole time I am watching, Tablets, Now tv box. Gaming PC all connected wireless work perfect.

IS there some settings I need to change for My Xbox one?

I have connected when no other devices are and Xbox still has same problem

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xbox Wireless connection issues after 3 months being fine

Have you tried using a wired Ethernet connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
LoganZen
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Will bring Xbox downstairs and try Ethernet see how that is...could it be a dodgy wireless card in the console and if it is would a plug in wall WiFi booster connected to Xbox upstairs through cable help??
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It could be an issue with the wireless in the console or interference from other nearby wireless devices, although I would expect that to impact the Wireless PC as well.  If a wired connection solves the problem then you could use powerline adapters (not a wireless booster) to get an Ethernet connection upstairs.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
LoganZen
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Connected downstairs and started installing a game straight away up t 40mb so gotta be wireless factor...strange because nothing has changed in my houses same devices etc as 3 months ago and also still in same room.
Hoped t won't cost much to get Ethernet up stairs cos only a part time worker...didn't think any thing would change on the connectivity
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The benefit of wireless, that it can penetrate walls, can also be it's downfall.  Even if nothing has changed within your property you can't control what has changed outside your property.  Maybe a neighbour has got a new wireless router or other wireless device that is using a channel that overlaps the one you use.

There is a good post here that explains how your wireless can be degraded by nearby signals:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

0 Kudos