Menu
ZA_Ninja
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Xbox One losing xbox live status then reconnecting...Keeps repeating

January 2nd, watching videos through Amazon Firestick when I lose internet connection. Did it about 4 or 5 times before I gave up. Figured as it's after 1am maybe they're doing maintenance on their end so went to bed. 

January 5th, signed onto my Xbox one to play some games with a friend who came to visit and 5 minutes into a Titanfall 2 multiplayer game everything around me freezes. "Lost connection to servers". Try again, same thing. Thought maybe they're having server issues. Went onto Battlefield 1, couldn't even load a match as I lose connection to EA Servers. Thought maybe EA servers were down as both games come from them. Tried Overwatch. No luck. Dashboarded and noticed my connection was dropping saying I needed to connect to Xbox live (Tile on the right appears when you're not connected), but then reconnected. Did this a few times in quick succession before calling Virgin and asking for help. No faults their end. Try resetting the router and my console I'm told. Did that, no changes.
Thought it might be something to do with the console so went onto Microsoft's support page and tried all the options regarding Xbox live connectivity issues, still nothing. Phoned back to Virgin and spoke to a lovely lady who talked me through opening the ports. Did that too, no joy. Now I'm starting to worry if it's my xbox experiencing hardware faults. Contacted Microsoft again the next morning to see what they could suggest. Told me to factory reset my console and set up everything from scratch. Told me if this didn't work I would have to book it in for repair and as it's out of warranty I would have to pay around £90 plus VAT for a 10 day turnaround. After much deliberation I traded in my day one edition console and the kinect and upgraded to an Xbox One S with double the hard drive space I used to have. Figured for the trade in and the difference it was a worthy sacrifice for the sake of something brand new. Problem solved right? Wrong.

It's not the console, stop telling other customers it's the console because it's not. I'm using a SH2ac and everything was working fine until a few days ago so what have you done to your services that have caused this issue? I can't chat in a party for more than 5 minutes before I get disconnected and have to reconnect. I can't even play a game because it kicks me out as soon as the connection drops. I've spent money on a new console because I was under the illusion it may be a hardware fault and it isn't. I've got to run a wireless connection as the powerline adaptors I have have only one port and that's providing connection to this PC that isn't failing. If you say it's because I'm wireless I will say it's not because my PS4 runs fine, the Xbox ran fine up until now. My connections are fine. I've opened all the necessary ports and even more for games like GTA where I've been on Portforward.com for guidance. I've never had to do that before but I am out of options. It is exhausting, it's frustrating, it's not something I signed up for and I refuse to shell out more money for something I didn't create issues with to start! I'm seeing a lot of these posts recently, including old ones that are being updated with new posts no more than a few weeks old. So please, explain yourself.

Ryan_H
Tuning in
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xbox One losing xbox live status then reconnecting...Keeps repeating

FAO Virgin. I am experiencing the exact same problems with an almost identical time of starting. Has something changed?
Ryan_H
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Will anyone from Virgin answer this?
ZA_Ninja
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Seems unlikely Ryan, I've been on the phone to them, passed onto technical support for gaming and they told me it would be a charged for service. I asked them for what because I've done everything I could possibly do my end and they told me they would call back in two hours after doing some research. That was on Sunday at 10:22am. What do they class as two hours response?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

FYI The VM forum team respond to the oldest post waiting for a reply. This means if you keep posting on the thread or are having a conversation between members then it will bump you to the bottom of their list. For the quickest response, post once and they will get to you as soon as possible.  Unfortunately current response times are 7-10 days from the last posting on a thread.

The support here is not as quick as it should be at the moment, but the quality is usually much better as it isn't staffed by script readers in a call centre.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi ZA_Ninja,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Xbox. I've just checked your connection and can see no issues from here. Your power levels, SNR and area contention are all perfectly fine. Have you tried the Xbox wired directly to the hub? Wireless introduces far too many variables for a dependable diagnosis. If you cable the Xbox directly to the hub do you still get the same disconnections?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ZA_Ninja
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

As I've stated before, wired isn't a viable option unless Virgin fancy reconnecting my hub to upstairs or running new wires through to connect to my consoles. I've had it running wirelessly for over 3 years. 18 months since I got the SH2ac I got powerline adaptors and nothing was wrong. I exhausted all options after VM and Microsoft gave me hoops to jump through and I took the hit in getting a brand new console only for the same problem. It's getting beyond a joke now to be perfectly honest.

0 Kudos
appleUK
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It's an absolute joke that they are pretending they don't know what's happening. It's happening to me too and virgin saying the same constant waffle "is it wired it works better when it's wired" NO I've been used wireless for about 3 years and had no issues up until Wednesday
Ryan_H
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Agreed. There is no point expecting us to wire up when we have all had perfect functionality for years and are now all affected by the same circumstances simultaneously.
0 Kudos
Jamie1995123
Joining in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Well said that's exactly what's on my mind! My router is downstairs and my Xbox one is in the upstairs bedroom.. I brought a router to go "wireless"..
0 Kudos