Menu
Homegrownfen
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Xbox One issues and Broadband speed

Hi, Any help appreciated before I start.

On a regular basis when I try to play online , I cannot connect to a match.

last night 01/07 I was trying for 3hrs but to no avail. so think this is down to my broadband speed. as the laptop was also slow taking up to 10 secs to load a page. I tried an online speed test speedtest.net and even that struggled. I tried it a number of times and it shows a download speed of between 1 yes 1 mbps and the best I got after trying the test a number of times was 9mbps! Today in the daytime the best I can get is 17mbps. I have the 50 broadband deal. but as you can see getting nowhere near it. if I do get to connect to an opponent online the lag and stutter is terrible making it unplayable. even other players have messaged me saying this. on occasion it just kicks you out completely. I have spoke with virgin a few times they sent a new power cable out saying that's the issue to the superhub. but no change really. I don't want to pay for a faster package if I'm not getting anywhere near the 50mb I pay for now.  I'm in area 20 stoke on Trent.   Any advise please ? do you agree its the internet speed or another issue. This is without other devices connected by the way only laptop and x box.   Thanks in advance .

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xbox One issues and Broadband speed

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times which are typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends?

If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here. If you attach screen shots then they will not be visible to most of us until they are approved by a moderator so pasting text is better, don't worry about the formatting.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread in a few days (up to a week based on current response times) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xbox One issues and Broadband speed

Hi Homegrownfen

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Many apologies that you are experiencing issues with Xbox One and slow broadband speeds.

I would like to check your connection for any issues, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can look further into this.

In the meantime if you can follow the steps by Scott that will help us further.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos