Menu
ZoLo
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Xbox One constantly disconnecting from Xbox Live

Hi 

We have an Xbox one which has started constantly disconnecting with the message no connection to Xbox live this past week and in the last few days my son hasn't been able to play at all.

We had the original virgin modem and we were having regular connection issues so i was advised to use a wired connection which we did. It isn't practical to have wires running all through your house and you should be able to play via wireless so after contacting Virgin again i was advised to pay and upgrade my modem to the black superhub. I did that and everything has been completely fine for months until this past week.

We have checked the hub connections and download speeds etc all are fine and we have no other issues with internet connection on phones etc. We have shut down the Xbox and re-started etc all the usual checks but it continues to happen.

This is causing a lot of frustration in our household as my son cant connect with his friends and as his parents we want to fix it for him and can't.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Xbox One constantly disconnecting from Xbox Live

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I'm sorry for the disconnections that you have been experiencing through the Xbox One. I can imagine it has been annoying to say the least.

If you take a look at this link > Superhub 2ac Firmware, there will be more information.

Hope this helps.

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos

All Replies
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi ZoLo

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy I'm really sorry to hear how much difficulty your having keeping the Xbox One connected to the broadband. We'll certainly try and help you out with this. 

I've run some checks on your hub/network segment and everything looks healthy which is great. You mention that the Xbox is currently connected wireless, how are things when it's connected over ethernet? We recommend playing over ethernet as there are too many factors that can affect wireless outside of our control. Can you try changing the wireless channel to see if this helps at all?

I completely agree that sometimes it's not feasible to have cables running throughout the house. There are accessories you can get which overcome this called powerline adaptors. I've included a link here which has some more info.

Speak soon 

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
appleUK
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

TY mate how are you answering all these issues with the same answer, you should have to game with a wire I haven't with one for about 5 years.

Why is virgin suddenly causing people's internets to drop when playing games give us the truth!
ZoLo
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ty i appreciate your assistance.

Obviously when using the ethernet cable it works fine but i cant have wires running through the house they are a dangerous trip hazard especially with a child and a dog Smiley Happy In this day and age you really should be able to play wirelessly and from reading on the forum plenty of gamers do with no problems, some use Virgin some don't. I will try and change the wireless settings and i agree a powerline adapter is probably the way forward but i really do begrudge paying for it. I already pay for broadband and i paid for a new modem on Virgins advice as a solution to my disconnection problems and it would appear it hasn't solved my issues. I think i should be sent one free of charge as a good will gesture.

If you could look into that for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again. Zoe

0 Kudos
d_mengs
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Don't waste the money! I purchased some power line adaptors and they have made no difference whatsoever still disconnecting.

It would be nice to see an eta on the fix Virgin should be working on!!!!

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Zoe

Thank you for getting back. With wireless there tends to be an element of luck as to how stable it is for gaming as so many variables may affect it, we have some wireless guides that may explain in more detail.

However apart from that we are also investigating a problem with your hub as a recent update may be causing problems, please keep an eye on this thread Re: Why do i keep disconnecting from Xbox Live on my Xbox One when playing online? as we will do our best to keep it updated.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Hutchy942
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have been having the exact same problem for a week or so and so have 5 people who I know that also use virgin media for their Xbox one, this is clearly a problem on virgin medias end yet they are not doing anything to fix it besides say you should use an Ethernet cable, in all honesty it's ridiculous I'd rather they just admit their is a problem and for once they actually fix it.
0 Kudos
shikariunite
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

They know of the problem, which is the latest firmware which was updated on 12th January.

They're already trying to resolve it, but still no ETA on when it will be resolved.
0 Kudos
appleUK
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Then they should be rolling back the firmware updated until they figure out what's wrong
0 Kudos
TrueBlue1981
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I had a suspicion it was related to that update that occurred on Thursday, had I not noticed the modem reboot twice in succession I would never had known.

Since then, I've also had countless problems with using the Xbox One, originally thinking it was just the 5Ghz that was effected, but seems as though the 2.4Ghz is affected as well.

Being knocked off Live at random only to be reconnected like 10 seconds later. Terrible problems watching YouTube... freezing, buffering, videos dropping to 480p over and over again and "YouTube is unavailable" errors.

Also, I can barely watch videos stored on my laptop over the network without errors popping up about not being able to play or find any videos. I have to exit the Media Player app and restart to make it find the videos across the network.

Seriously needs fixing, it's getting annoying.

0 Kudos