Menu
pageyboy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Xbox One Net Setup

At the moment I have most items at the TV unit connected to a tp link gigabit unmanaged switch via a mixture of cat 5e and cat 6 cables. This includes my Xbox one. It was an easy option at the time and has been working well. I done a few tests via the Xbox network detailed stats page and even though I get a steady 218d/l, 7ms ping and 12.18 u/l via Speedtest, it's coming back with about 98 d/l, 11 u/l and shocklingly 158ms latency with a 1% packet loss. I know the tests used to be routed through America and I hope by my results that is still the case.

I have been toying with the idea of getting another router and putting my Virgin hub 2a/c into modem mode and letting the new router do the grunt work to increase the wifi range in the house and hopefully improve the Xbox online connection. I was looking at 3:

ASUS RT-AC68U
ASUS RT-AC87U (don't know if this is overkill)
Netduma R1

Also thinking of plugging a cat 6 cable lead directly into the router from the Xbox instead of using going through the switch.

Any opinions appreciated. Especially if anyone owns any of the above routers and it has made a difference.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Xbox One Net Setup

Online speed tests run on consoles are notoriously unreliable. Ignore them.

I assume you have access to a PC if you have other speed tests that are showing full speed?

Plug your PC into the cable you usually plug Xbox into and test. That will show you what you are REALLY getting.

I run two Xbones off gigabit unmanaged switches and whilst reported speeds are pants, downloads finish before 99% of people I know downloading at the same time. Not a scientific test but obviously my throughput is higher.

So a new router will make little difference to XBOX results speed wise.

Where it COULD make a real difference is through QOS features- which would mean you could prioritise gaming traffic over say streaming video. That would mean consistently lower latency if others devices are using the network. It would also improve your Wifi, providing your devices can make use of te extra speed available.

So I suppose the answer is - Yes a decent standalone router is a good investment. But for slightly different reasons than your OP.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Online speed tests run on consoles are notoriously unreliable. Ignore them.

I assume you have access to a PC if you have other speed tests that are showing full speed?

Plug your PC into the cable you usually plug Xbox into and test. That will show you what you are REALLY getting.

I run two Xbones off gigabit unmanaged switches and whilst reported speeds are pants, downloads finish before 99% of people I know downloading at the same time. Not a scientific test but obviously my throughput is higher.

So a new router will make little difference to XBOX results speed wise.

Where it COULD make a real difference is through QOS features- which would mean you could prioritise gaming traffic over say streaming video. That would mean consistently lower latency if others devices are using the network. It would also improve your Wifi, providing your devices can make use of te extra speed available.

So I suppose the answer is - Yes a decent standalone router is a good investment. But for slightly different reasons than your OP.

0 Kudos
pageyboy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I done what you said and plugged the laptop into the port on the switch the xbox was connected to. It came back at 218dl, 12.18 u/l and 8ms ping. This however was to my closest server.

I did notice that I had a cat 5e cable going from the hub to the switch. For the sake of a few pounds I'll change that over to future proof it a bit and a get something better quality.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Okay it was to the closest server but it shows the connection is performing well.

So basically you can safely ignore the console based speed tests..

0 Kudos