Menu
SILEeeles
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Xbox High Latency

13493629_1712334579020819_1777581829_o.jpg

I'm not the first person to post something like this, and I wont be the last. But after attempting to play with my partner over Xbox Live yesterday during which she got terrible lag (I was hosting) it seems there might be a reason for it.

My console, connected via ethernet directly to the router, seems to have a high latency (ideally it should be from 20 - 50 I'm told) and my download speed is also innacurate. I get (and I am very aware that it is not a definite, but very much "up to") 100Mbps. Usually, I get towards the higher end of this on speed tests. It was pointed out to me that speed tests arent a reliable indication of speed or general use, however.

I am also aware that speed tests vary greatly over wireless based on signal stregnth etc and often times will go no higher than 50Mbps, but the console is not using wireless.

I have had a new router installed about a month ago now, Superhub 2 AC. As far as I can tell, the AC is mostly just to do with wireless stuff, and as such is irrelevant to this instance.

The internet for my area was knocked out yesterday (22/06/2016) from around 12PM - 3PM. My and my partner played a few hours after this, so I dont know if that has anything to do currently with the low speeds.

Ocasionally I can get messages from my xbox telling me that my NAT setting isnt open, but to my knowledge there is not an option to change this setting on the routers. Port forwarding is about the best one can do, but I have never needed to for Xbox Live.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Makk
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xbox High Latency

Hi I'm having the same problems as u are playing Xbox live bad lag had to turn it off my upload is 75 mgps but the latency is 154 ms 

0 Kudos
SILEeeles
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Its frustrating. Especially when you know full well that the other person (in this case my partner) is on a much slower telephone line broadband connection and has no issues. This should not be happening, most especially because online gameplay data is KB if that.

It isnt even a complicated or busy game.

I have no problems accessing Xbox Live, the services on it (such as netflix and various media funtions or even downloading games, although from time to time it will go a tad slowly) etc.

Just out of curiosity, I did check the wireless connection from my xbox too, and this has the same latency as the ethernet.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello SILEeeles

Shame about the Xbox latency, I wonder what is going on. Your line and hub look good, the area traffic is quite low and error free. I would imagine the XBox does its tests to a server off our network. The best way to see where there may be lag problems is to run a traceroute to the particular site you are having problems to, I appreciate you may need a PC to do this but it may be quite revealing.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Nicola_C wrote:

Hello SILEeeles

Shame about the Xbox latency, I wonder what is going on. Your line and hub look good, the area traffic is quite low and error free. I would imagine the XBox does its tests to a server off our network. The best way to see where there may be lag problems is to run a traceroute to the particular site you are having problems to, I appreciate you may need a PC to do this but it may be quite revealing.

Thank you

Nicola_C admit the SH is no fit for service for gaming on XBOX or PS.

Funny that I have no latency issues with PS4 on Wifi, PC on wired. Ever since I went Modem mode.

The SH is design as a One stop fix for BASIC users who know nothing about networks, and just need to connect a laptop or tablet.
But when you want to game it cant handle the traffic.

My Advice for GAMERS is go Modem Mode, get yourself a GOOD router and all your problems will disappear over night. 

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos