Menu
SteveJones2015
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

XBOX One won't connect to internet using wired connection to Superhub 2..?

Hi all,

My sons are getting increasingly frustrated with their XBOX One whilst playing FIFA 15 over a wireless connection, the reason being lag. Get a life and go out and play proper football was my suggestion but apparently that's so last century.

Anyway, we ran an ethernet cable from the Superhub2 to the XBOX One and although it recognised it and switched to a wired connection status in settings it was unable to connect to the internet due to "DNS not resolving XBOX server names". I have followed all the suggestions on http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-connection-error-solution?icid=furl_xboxon... but it's still not working, plus I have tested the cable on my notebook and it works fine.

When i unplug the cable the XBOX automatically switches to a wireless connection and connects to the internet straight away??

Can anyone help? 

Many thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: XBOX One won't connect to internet using wired connection to Superhub 2..?

Hi SteveJones2015,

I like your suggestion! But it doesn't seem to cut it for your lads so let's see if we can get the Xbox working properly Smiley Happy

Playing games online using wireless can be a minefield so let's concentrate on getting the ethernet connection set up first then we'll see what can be done about wifi.

Could you try connecting the xbox back up with a cable again. This time, head to Settings, this is the cogwheel on the home screen. Then head to Network. In here you'll see a few options show up on the left of the screen, pick Advanced Settings then DNS Settings. Now these should just be set to default or 'Auto'. If they aren't try setting it back to default and see how the connection behaves. 

I hope this helps and let us know how you get on and we'll see what more we can do Smiley Happy

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
SteveJones2015
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks very much for your response...

We've tried that but when we get to DNS settings there's no option to restore default or set to auto? Am I missing something?

Thanks again,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi SteveJones2015,

No you're not missing anything! That's me giving only half advice! Apologies for that  (I'm still stuck with a 360) I've just run through the process on the Xbone in work and there is no return to default button so that's my fault! 

You will have the option to set the DNS setting manually in Advance Settings. The Virgin Media ones are 194.168.4.100 (Primary) and 194.168.8.100 (Secondary). Even if these are all ready in there, delete them out and enter again. If that doesn't work you can try using the Google DNS servers of 8.8.8.8 (Primary) and 8.8.4.4 (Secondary). 

Let us know how you get on with those. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
SteveJones2015
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Morning John,

Unfortunately no joy. I tried all the different DNS settings and each time did as the console suggested and rebooted the router but still the same issue.

What's next :-)

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steve,

Cheers for trying that but sorry it hasn't helped. Could you try it with ethernet again and on the same screen that had Advanced Settings you'll see on the right of the screen the option for ' test connection' This should tell you where the break in the chain is happening with more than just a vague error message about DNS (which we've checked and is working fine) 

0 Kudos
SteveJones2015
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Tried that and just get the same message, ie 'DNS is not resolving Xbox server names'.

There's a few lines at the top left of the screen with 4 greyed out and one white, underneath it says Internet Problem 1/5

Over to you...

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
Jack123
Up to speed
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

SteveJones2015 wrote:

Hi John,

Tried that and just get the same message, ie 'DNS is not resolving Xbox server names'.

There's a few lines at the top left of the screen with 4 greyed out and one white, underneath it says Internet Problem 1/5

Over to you...

Thanks

Steve

Hmm.

Are you able to go to Detailed Network Statistics and post back what is displayed?

0 Kudos
SteveJones2015
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hiya,

The detailed network statistics read:

Download speed - 57.99 mbps

Upload speed - 11.86 mbps

Packet loss - 1%

MTU - 1480

Latency - 164 ms

Thanks in advance

Steve

0 Kudos
Jack123
Up to speed
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

SteveJones2015 wrote:

Hiya,

The detailed network statistics read:

Download speed - 57.99 mbps

Upload speed - 11.86 mbps

Packet loss - 1%

MTU - 1480

Latency - 164 ms

Thanks in advance

Steve

Looks normal there.

Have you contacted Xbox Support?