Menu
Taylus
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

XBOX One wired connection dropping out

Hi ,

I have recently upgraded or so I thought to the Superhub 3 and the Vivid Gaming package , I have a strange issue when I am playing XBOX One where on my wired connection I keep getting disconnected from multiplayer games or xbox live altogether and losing service for a couple of minutes then reconnects again .It only seems to happen when on wired connection , I can play 30feet away from router wireless no problems then have xbox 2 feet way wired connection and problems start . I upgraded the cable from xbox to router with CAT6 gold type ,

Port forwarding is not an option as Virgin for some reason will not allow Port forwarding of port 53 which is  an xbox required open port .Although this was available on Superhub 2 AC

Could I use the superhub 3 in modem mode and connect the Superhub AC2 with an Ethernet lead and use this as the router ?? would I need to change any of the two router settings apart from putting Superhub 3 into Modem mode?

Any Help appreciated

Taylus

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: XBOX One wired connection dropping out

Hi Taylus, Cat6 is not a requirement to connect, whoever said this was the case is misinformed.

Port 53 although required by XB1 for some reason is the port used to for DNS servers to communicate, I believe this is why VM have started blocking this on consumer connections as it's not something you would normally have if you're not a business/ISP running your own public DNS.

I believe you can use SH3 in Modem Mode and use SH2 to route your traffic. I personally don't use any VM hardware to do any networking other than provide the gateway to the internet as there are too many issues with the hardware they supply.

Another consideration is that UPnP should allow the services and ports required to opened as the device demands it from the SH3 but obviously this isn't working.

Just enable modem mode on the SH and I would factory reset the SH2 and configure it accordingly (in router mode), avoid using DMZ if possible as this isn't a great way to resolve issues and opens you up to attacks on the device in the DMZ.

Taylus
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stormfury ,

Thanks very much for the reply and advice , Yes I do not plan to use the AC2 for long , am planning to get a Nighthawk 7000 or better and as you say use the Superhub as a gateway. Did not realise about the DMZ , I was using this to be honest , I will set it back to normal .

Thanks again for help , much appreciated

Taylus

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Taylus, the has a few functions but in short it allows by default any traffic direct access to the device specified on the internal network.

It's quite common to see people advise on placing problem devices (Xbox or Playstation etc) in the DMZ because it appears to 'fix' the connection issue, when in reality it's just allowing any external connection full access.

There are plenty of guides about setting up port forwarding etc and for what its worth I use Linksys WRT1900ac and it's a very capable device for both WiFi and wired connections. I've used Netgear devices too and they tend to be decent but the performance of the WRT1900ac is very good and one I would easily recommend. Although some won't like the two tone classic design but that's not really why you would buy it.

It may be worth testing the SH2ac as routing device first so you are then easily able to translate to your new device, basically most settings would be the same or similar, just with more options on the 3rd part device.

Taylus
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stormfury Thanks for further advice m, the Linksys sounds good , I have been searching and reviewing which router to get , good to have advice off a user , thanks again for the help , well appreciated

Taylus

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Once you get set up you can post back or send me a message if you need any help getting the best out of what you end up buying.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Taylus, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with your Xbox disconnecting. 

I have taken a look and from what I can see the connection looks ok from this side. 

I am unable to see your power levels at this time if you could pop them up for me that would help:

192.168.0.1 in the browser, log in  Username is admin and the password will be changeme, unless you have changed it.

Go to Advanced settings.

Go to Network Status, copy the results back here.

It would also help to see a BQM. (Please be aware site is external and we're not responsible for its contents). 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Taylus
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma , thanks for the reply , the problems seems to have disappeared on its own ?? thanks anyway