Highlighted
traceofwind
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

World of Warcraft - Frequent disconnections and high ping

My logs: 

Hi,

As per the title, and numerous posts here on the VM and Blizzard forums, I have been experiencing increasingly frequent disconnects from World of Warcraft and now increased latency in-game. I have supplied pastebins of respective modem/router tests of combined MTR, traceroute and pings to the Blizzard server (EU-Draenor) via the links above.

I understand that Blizzard contends that this is an issue with Virgin Media whilst VM's response is usually to the lines of "this is not our network". I understand also that the only solution thus far reported has been customers issued with the Superhub 2AC, suggesting that the problem lays with the outdated SH2.

Superhub information:

• Software version: V2.39.02
  • Boot code version: 2.3.0beta7
  • Hardware version: 2.00
  • Connection: SuperFibre 70

There are no Router firewall logs pertinent to the disconnection and latency issues with World of Warcraft, however the Router Firewall does seem to actively block some traffic. Disabling the router firewall has no effect however on disconnects / latency in WoW.

Checklist of things done so far:

Personal experiences:

Switching to Modem Mode does improve disconnections and latency; disconnections are less frequent and latency is dramatically improved -from 180ms to 20ms. However, in Modem Mode, disconnections do still occur and thus is not at all a satisfactory solution -not to mention the loss of WiFi, etc.

I have tried turning the Router functions on and off -Firewall, UPnP, Port Forwarding etc but no combination has fixed the disconnection issues and latency specific to World of Warcraft.  I have also disabled Windows Firewall (on/off) to no effect.

Solutions please:

It does seem (as reported, here) that the Superhub V2 router is treating World of Warcraft incorrectly resulting in disconnects and latency.

I would like a VM representative to contact me about this and to find a solution for others here on  the forum. That said, as I understand it, the only solution is to be issued a newer Super Hub (SH2AC, for example) that properly allows the network operation of World of Warcraft.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos
traceofwind
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: World of Warcraft - Frequent disconnections and high ping

Downloaded Hotspot Shield VPN and started a 7-Day trial (it does require credit card info). Latency in WoW is now 26ms; this morning with Virgin Media it was 176ms. No disconnects yet, fingers crossed this could help confirm something helpful.

I signed up for the VPN based on this post, which suggests:

"Blizzard support have tracked it back to Virgin's superhub targeting the WoW client as bittorrent and managing it aggressively. (instead of realizing it's a valid internet protocol, not pirate material by default...)."

Really getting annoyed with VM over this -frequent disconnects and increased latency. Reading around the forums -both VM and Blizz -it seems VM customers have to figure this out themselves every time (or leave the service) or hope for either a new Superhub or worse have to pay for a VPN.

0 Kudos
traceofwind
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have been running the thinkbroadband Broadband Quality Monitor for the last 24 hours. I had the VPN running during some hours of the daytime while I played WoW -I work late. The spike before 8pm was enough to rocket WoW's latency to an unplayable 836ms but resumed 'normal' within 5-10 minutes. The VPN absolutely makes WoW playable: latency around 26ms and zero disconnections; with the VPN disabled it's back to 186ms [Home] latency and disconnects -this is all running in Router Mode.

My Broadband Ping

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Super70

0 Kudos
traceofwind
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

More logs of MTR, ping and tracert when connection is bad:

The VPN is a definite help, but latency and dropped packets still causing problems. Going to give up on today, it's too frustrating.

0 Kudos
traceofwind
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
traceofwind
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Over the last 12 hours connection and latency have been stable, best in a long time. Not sure if anything changed but everything here is the same. 

Even with VPN on/off, VM connection to WoW looks good and thinkbroadband's BQM showing better graphs.

Fingers crossed it holds out long term.

0 Kudos
jarrah
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

exactly this same issue.  It seems to have bevcopem significantly worse over the last tewo weeks culminating in today when the game is totally unplayable.   I would like to see VM pull their finger out and address this ASAP. I will be cancelling my account if its not resolved very soon.   Thre pirce hikes and  massive drop in quality is no way to keep customers!

0 Kudos