Menu
gidget899
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WoW and GTA high latency while wired...

Hello... this issue I have is a bit of an odd one to me!

Since roughly last Wednesday until today, every evening, without fail, I'm experiencing higher latency, lag spikes and even disconnects from 4-9/10pm. I noticed that this seems to since we have downgraded our package, as everything worked fine before that.

The problem does not seem to be just WoW. I'm unsure if it's just gaming but we are fully wired (no wireless gaming) and it seems to cause the most problems when I am trying to play WoW and my husband trying to play GTA via his playstation. Even when he's been forced to quit playing so I can get some ms back, the connection still seems to lag out tivo/netflix and the game still.

I am certain that the problem is not on my end. I've done the usual, updated drivers, windows, addons, reset router and dns via the ipconfig etc

My latency rises from the usual ~20-30 to settle at 150-200 with very frequent spikes of 1K+. It spikes to 6-8k on occasion, and when ingame activity is high, everything can flat-out stop working for 10-30 seconds or just disconnect entirely - this can happen every couple of minutes, easily.

This is causing me massive amounts of stress and frustration, not to metion im getting blamed off husabnd who is blaming VM and me both for the problems.

I can't help with diagnosis. My knowledge on these things people here are pasting, traceroutes and such is next to zero. But any help is still appreciated ;_;

I hope this can be fixed very soon as I must stress that it does seem to be only since we have downgraded our package. Although the broadband speed was meant to stay the stay...

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
gidget899
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: WoW and GTA high latency while wired...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

High utilization is the main culprit for those kind of symptoms (high latency and slow downloads during peak time.) Sync fails and lost MDDs are signs of a struggling downstream, which can come about if the utilization levels are severe enough. Lost MDDs lead to a loss of a downstream. The remaining info on the dropped downstreams shows that there is a lot of noise affecting the connection (SNR dipping, modulation dropping then the channel being lost entirely.) The upstream T3 timeout count is also of interest.

You could setup a think BB graph to better monitor it while you await a reply from the staff: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping - you'll also need to login to your Superhub to turn on the respond to ping option otherwise the graph won't work: Browse to http://192.168.100.1 - sign in -> Advanced Settings -> Scroll down to Ping -> Go into that option -> enable to respond to ICMP. Click Apply.

During peak time you could also try a modem mode test with a Windows based computer running in safe mode /w networking (connected by Ethernet) to the Ethernet port closest to Superhub's coax cable. Given how bad the stats you showed are above, this is more of a customary test. If you get better ping results during that test on the connected device, then perhaps there is a device in your network exasperating the situation.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
gidget899
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This is what I've got so far. Keep in mind that this is during the day, at home while everyone is at work and school, so no internet/tv services will be used until we get back around 6-7pm.

My Broadband Ping - VM test

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That amount of packet loss and frequently spiking latency is pretty dire and at such early hours in the morning too.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
gidget899
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How long does it normally take for a reply from a moderator? Just seems to be spiking again that's all.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Normally a couple of days so shouldn't be too long.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi gidget899,

Thanks for getting in touch, though sorry to see you've been having latency and lag issues that have impacted you're gaming, annoyingSmiley Sad

I've run a few checks on your Superhub and local network segment and Shelke seems to have picked up on most of the problems here that are impacting your service.

The peak time load on your cable is running high at times, with networks planning upgrade works on ref. F003451109 currently estimated for August time.

In addition intermittent noise ingress (SNR) on your upstreams is evident and its probably this more than the high peak time load that's driving the latency spikes. I've raised this with networks for further investigation, they'll normally send an engineer out to investigate.

Your hub's downstream power levels are also reporting on the low side currently and we'll need to keep an eye on these should they not recover once the SNR problems have been resolved.

I'll catch up with you in a day or two and we'll see how things are looking then.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules