Menu
ThomasSmith
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wired and wireless connection?

I use the first virgin media hub; the super hub. For gaming I want a wired connection but to do that I need it in wired mode. Other devices in my house need wireless. Is there a work around? Thanks.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired and wireless connection?

no such thing as wired / wireless modes. I have the SH1 &  it has 2 modes only: modem and router

in modem mode, just 1 ethernet port is active, to connent to your own separate router. and there is no wifi

in router mode it supports both wired AND wireless, at the same time. NB in that mode the wireless can ( pointlessly) be disabled) - maybe you accidentally did that

so log in 192.168.0.1

check you are in router mode. check wireless is enabled. optionally tweak the wireless SSID and password to ones you like. Optionally turn guest network on/ off. I leave it off.

turn firewall OFF if you are gaming

ThomasSmith
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ahhh, that's what the modes are. So last time I tried wired I plugged it in and nothing. Is this the settings or will I need some sort of adapted for my pc to support the wired connection?
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If it is in modem mode then 3 of the 4 sockets are disabled. to get it out of that mode, either do a factory reset, or connect to the one that is still live  then you can log in and change mode

.all you need for hub to PC is a standard ethernet cable. For faster than 100Mbs get a cat 6 cable, otherwise cat5e will be fine, and one of those should have shipped with the hub.

that assumes your PC has an ethernet socket but usually that is on the motherboard as standard. it may be 1Gb or maybe only 100Mbs but device manager should tell you that.

but I am puzzled if you are in modem mode you shoudl have no wifi - if you are in router mode you should have 4 working sockets. could be some trial and error needed to determine if you have a faulty cable, or a faulty port on pc or on hub, or if it is just a config issue.

you can connect to 192.168.0.1 from a smartphone / tablet browser to see your hub settings. the login info is printed on the hub case somewhere

what do you see in networks on PC. if you see no (wired) networks available or " no cable connected" then you need to follow the clues..

if you have any strange properties set in networks adaptor properties, tell it to revert to default settings or delete the network adapter from device manager and reboot so that windows re-discovers it and resets it. If the (wired) network adaptor has been disabled then - duh! - enable it !

i think your issue is most likely with the PC settings or components, pictures of the relevant screens will help if you are still stuck.

what version of windows are you using ? and what does device manager tell you is installed for networks

0 Kudos
ThomasSmith
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think I have it now man thanks!
0 Kudos