Menu
gardo
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wired PS4 connection impacting performance of wifi connected devices

Have my PS4 connected via ethernet cable to SuperHub2 on 100mb/s line. But wifi devices with good connection are so slow they are unusable.

PS4 is running online game, not downloading updates or any software.

Odd one I know, do I have to do anything like setup static IP ranges in DHCP settings or anything? Can't get my head round this one!

Any help would be great. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired PS4 connection impacting performance of wifi connected devices

Is it just impacting wireless devices, are other wired devices OK?  If it is just wireless, then you might want to check the "Remote Play Connection Settings" on the PS4 as there is an option to enable remote play and allow a PS Vita or PS TV to connect direct to the PS4.  If this setting is on it enables a wireless AP on the 2.4GHz band for the Vita/PS TV to connect to and might interfere with your hub's 2.4GHz band signal.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
gardo
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott, appreciate the prompt response. 

Tried your recommendation but still have the issue. Further testing has shown same issue occurs when PS4 is using wifi so can only assume it's a fight for bandwidth. Speed tests on remote devices show drop in download speeds from 40mb/s to <5 when PS4 is running an online game.

Will look to try and limit the PS4's thirst for bandwidth. Can this be done on the SH2?

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode plus a good router is way to go. ASUS RT-N66U is fantastic. That's what I use.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
gardo
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cheers mate, will look to sort out my hardware this weekend :-)

0 Kudos