Menu
darren-w-gray
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

[Wifi] Ping more than trebled recently?

Afternoon everyone. 

I am trying to solve a nagging issue that appears to have only started recently. I game on various FPS games and usually connect my laptop to my router via the 5Ghz connection. Usually I ping around 20 to 30 - but this seems to have changed over the last few weeks.

I noticed horrible glitches across a number of games now appearing, so started digging.

On 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz I can't get better than 80 to 90 Ping at the moment - and the game is stuttering.
On Wired (using a powerline kit) I get 20 to 30 Ping and no issues.

The thing is this has only really started happening over the last few weeks. I have removed anything that might have recently got in the way of the signal - small furniture and the like - restarted the router and the laptop, moved the 5Ghz channel to "Auto best performance", switched from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz. I even moved to my mobile (non virgin) tether and that was better than my virgin connection!

I even updated my graphics drivers and installed the grumpy GE Force experience.

The only thing that had impact was the change to the 5Ghz channels, which improved the ping to 60-70 but that still jittered the gameplay.

Is there anything in the router that I could try? I can't believe that I am resigned to the Powerline! 

0 Kudos
Chateau1984
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: [Wifi] Ping more than trebled recently?

Are you on the super hub 2ac. There seems to be a common fault for everyone on these forums. Looks like virgin rolled out a firmware update which had messed up everyone's Wi-Fi causing massive lag spikes in games. I've bit the bullet and bought myself my own router to take the virgin junk out of the equation.
0 Kudos
darren-w-gray
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: [Wifi] Ping more than trebled recently?

Yes. Strange story to that.

When I renewed a few months back I pointed out my router was having issues I was told they were upgrading my to the latest router, which apparently is a Superhub 2.5.

To be fair I suspect my best option is to chain in a proper router and go modem only. Sure I will lose access to their wi-fi sharing; but it's no hardship because it never works anyway!

0 Kudos