Menu
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Why your gigabit broadband lags.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

Intel's Puma 6 chipset, used in gigabit broadband modems around the world, suffers from latency jitter so bad it ruins online gaming and other real-time connections.

Modems powered by Intel's Puma 6 chipset that suffer from bursts of game-killing latency include the Arris Surfboard SB6190, the Hitron CGNV4, and the Compal CH7465-LG, and Puma 6-based modems rebadged by ISPs, such as Virgin Media's Superhub 3 and Comcast's top-end Xfinity boxes. There are other brands, such as Linksys and Cisco, that use the system-on-chip that may also be affected.

The surges in lag are experienced by subscribers on various big ISPs, from Comcast, Charter and Cox in the US to Rogers in Canada and Virgin Media in the UK. You don't need a full 1Gbps connection to trigger the latency spikes – just at least a super-fast package and a buggy modem.

Also see here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-amp-CGNV4-Latency... and here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Superhub-3-0-atrocious-ping-jitter-packet-loss/td...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
bambamboyo
Up to speed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why your gigabit broadband lags.

Virgin media could we have a response on this please?
Hydrops
Dialled in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Maybe you'll get a response in a week or two if you're lucky. How on Earth it take so long to read and post in a forum is beyond me. It certainly feels like VM staff are told to reply ~3 times an hour or something and there is no incentive to do any more work or help any of their customers.

Getting consistently shafted by highly fluctuated ping during "peek" all daylight hours.
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

We dont have gigabit broadband, and yes the SH3 is trash, its been known since release, its why i use a SH2 with my 200mbit

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

shanematthews wrote:

We dont have gigabit broadband, and yes the SH3 is trash, its been known since release, its why i use a SH2 with my 200mbit

From The Register article and noted above: "You don't need a full 1Gbps connection to trigger the latency spikes – just at least a super-fast package and a buggy modem."

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sololobo wrote:

shanematthews wrote:

From The Register article and noted above: "You don't need a full 1Gbps connection to trigger the latency spikes – just at least a super-fast package and a buggy modem."

Sure but you specifically titled the thread "Why your gigabit broadband lags" despite us not having that and this issue only affecting the superdud 3, which isn't fit for purpose for multiple reasons that aren't even related to latency, VM might fix it, or they just might not care and wait for a new hardware revision and hope the issue goes away

bambamboyo
Up to speed
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well it is a gigabit connection out of the hub as if it was a fast Ethernet connection @ 100mb out of the hub then how would you get 200mb or 300mb speed tiers?

So yes you need a gigabit chipset and connection a gigabit connection out of the ports on the hub for that, which they are.
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

bambamboyo wrote:
Well it is a gigabit connection out of the hub as if it was a fast Ethernet connection @ 100mb out of the hub then how would you get 200mb or 300mb speed tiers?

So yes you need a gigabit chipset and connection a gigabit connection out of the ports on the hub for that, which they are.

He isn't referring to the gigabit LAN side, this is specifically an issue on the modem side

0 Kudos
bambamboyo
Up to speed
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It's irrelevant as if the hub3 modem is provisioned at 1Gb or 200Mb or 50Mb it still has the same latency issue reported in the article, caused by the duff firmware in hub driving the intel puma 6 (gigabit) chipset.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

shanematthews wrote:

Sololobo wrote:

shanematthews wrote:

Sure but you specifically titled the thread "Why your gigabit broadband lags" despite us not having that and this issue only affecting the superdud 3, which isn't fit for purpose for multiple reasons that aren't even related to latency, VM might fix it, or they just might not care and wait for a new hardware revision and hope the issue goes away

The title of the thread was "borrowed" from The Register article, as was the rest of the content in the first post. 

While the title may seem somewhat misleading to a pedant like yourself the article does also note that "super-fast" connections and a "buggy modem" on lower speed packages will also trigger these latency spikes.

I have obviously not met the high standards you require when passing on information which may be of interest to others, I'll try to do better in future. Smiley Embarassed

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.