Menu
Kermit-The-Frog
Dialled in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Why is my speed capped in the evening ALWAYS

As the title says.

I game and as such the games I play need to be patched.

If I try to patch them in the evening the patch takes absolutely ages to download.

eg. a 1.7GB patch at night can be started at 7pm and won't finish until 11pm. However this morning the same size patch took 5 minutes.

Also a while ago I had an 8GB patch to download. I didn't download it the evening as I knew it wouldn't. I started it the next morning at 8am planning to leave my console on for it to download during the day. Half an hour later the patch has downloaded.

I'm on the 200Mb package.

To the staff. Don't bother pinging my router. If I'm not at home it gets switched off.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is my speed capped in the evening ALWAYS

Kermit-The-Frog wrote:

As the title says.

I game and as such the games I play need to be patched.

If I try to patch them in the evening the patch takes absolutely ages to download.

eg. a 1.7GB patch at night can be started at 7pm and won't finish until 11pm. However this morning the same size patch took 5 minutes.

Also a while ago I had an 8GB patch to download. I didn't download it the evening as I knew it wouldn't. I started it the next morning at 8am planning to leave my console on for it to download during the day. Half an hour later the patch has downloaded.

I'm on the 200Mb package.

To the staff. Don't bother pinging my router. If I'm not at home it gets switched off.

The speed isn't "capped", those are peak hours so it sounds like there is a high utilisation issue in your area, too many customers, not enough bandwidth, unfortunately thats one of the issues with VM's network

0 Kudos
Kermit-The-Frog
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

There aren't a lot of people in my neighbourhood on Virgin Media (I know as most of them leave the name of their hub alone).

Also I can game online with no problem. And that is constantly sending information back and forth over the internet.

And 1.7GB over 4 hours doesn't sound right as you'd expect after say 10pm things would calm down, but they don't

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If your using steam there are options for:
allow downloads during gameplay = best not to check if you have no QoS of your own or without limit bandwidth set to in steam.
throttle downloads while streaming = on the same PC it may detect your streaming something as you wait for your download but without your own QoS best to leave it checked.

0 Kudos
Kermit-The-Frog
Dialled in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

PS4. Yeah I know I'm going to be slated by the elitist PC bunch

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Kermit-The-Frog wrote:

PS4. Yeah I know I'm going to be slated by the elitist PC bunch

Last time i used the PSN its speeds were not known to be super stellar, in this case it could be utilisation on their end, no service is infinite Smiley Tongue

The fact that the speeds are fine off-peak indicates this isn't a fault with your individual connection

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Kermit-The-Frog wrote:

There aren't a lot of people in my neighbourhood on Virgin Media (I know as most of them leave the name of their hub alone).

Also I can game online with no problem. And that is constantly sending information back and forth over the internet.

And 1.7GB over 4 hours doesn't sound right as you'd expect after say 10pm things would calm down, but they don't

On cable networks like VM it only takes a couple of users downloading at the same time to slow things down, add to that other customers streaming Netflix etc and the bandwidth can easily be saturated. In some areas speeds don't recover until well after midnight, especially at weekends.

However there's another problem that could be contributing to your slow download speeds. Try running this speed test: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html and see if the single thread speed is much slower than multi thread. That's something which is affecting some VM users and it causes downloads to be very slow, even if there isn't a high utilisation problem in your area.

0 Kudos
Kermit-The-Frog
Dialled in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My Broadband Speed Test

I can guarantee that trying to download game patches in the evening I will not get those speeds, and this test was run at about 7:10pm

0 Kudos
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

no wonder... the standard ps4 has appalling speeds, i switched to the new slim ps4 which is 5ghz compatible and the speed difference is incredible.

on the old ps4 it would be all over, one minute maybe 20Mbps, the next 3Mbps.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
Kermit-The-Frog
Dialled in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

1.3 GB file started at 8pm. PS4 put in rest mode and it's still downloading 

0 Kudos