Menu
toewad1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why is Virgin Media vivid gamer so bad on Xbox one, I don't lag but everyone around me doe's

220 meg down 21 meg up and my Xbox one gaming is worse than ever I get hammered virtually every game, I'm not sure if my broadband is too fast and Xbox can't keep up with the speeds or Virgin Media are crap or even the Superhub 3 is a pile of junk, lag I shoot someone the bullet's go all the way round them I always get the round the corner death I back out of more game than I finish £47.50 a month just for broadband and I might as well have dial up or even worse BT.

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is Virgin Media vivid gamer so bad on Xbox one, I don't lag but everyone around me doe's

is this via wireless or wired

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is Virgin Media vivid gamer so bad on Xbox one, I don't lag but everyone around me doe's

Toewad,

having more bandwidth isn't what you need if you're wanting the lowest possible latency. There are some other benefits such as zero traffic management, however you will still get the same routing/peering within VMs core network and you are still going be victim to the SuperHub3's faulty chipset (which isn't necessarily anything VM can fix without Intel fixing it first).

For what it's wroth BT/Sky and other VDSL providers seem to fair much better with latency (ping) than VM does, so if you want the best latency and you can get a decent VDSL connection speed (line quality is something to consider here) then you should seriously consider this.

You should also look at third party routers that can do services such as Quality of Service (this prioritises traffic to what you set it to and can dictate the maximum bandwidth the connection can handle which alleviates buffer bloat on the modem/gateway).

toewad1
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey! any ideas of routers but not to expensive the stuff I have bought in the last 12 month is stupid, Ps4 Xb1 Xb1s curved samsung tv. Upgraded my bband all a total waste of time still back out of more games than I finish. Cheers!
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This channel is pretty good for in-depth but well explained content, one such video may be of interest here.

0 Kudos
ayshfm1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Currently Vigin media is not the ISP for owners of Xbox(en).  I have both BT and Virgin load balancing but have always had NAT issues (I have two xbones) - no more BT has rolled out ipv6 which nukes pretty much all Xbox issues.  It's fantastic.   Open NAT on both no trouble at all, ipv6 is also preferred, theorectically at least it promises lower latency.

If I had to choose then ipv6 would be the deal maker right now, if you game you want ipv6 (and hence need to consider ditching VM as they don't seem to be planning a rollout)

stormfury2
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

IPv6 won't necessarily be the cause of lower latency, it's BTs core infrastructure that differs which will reduce latency.

To be clear, IPv6 is a way to give unique addresses to pretty much any device on the planet, it removes the need for NAT and PAT, it also contains the subnet within the IPv6 address.

Even if VM did go fully IPv6, it wouldn't mean we would suddenly see lower latency, it would however remove the need for port forwarding in instances with multiple consoles behind the gateway.