Menu
Neskat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Why does my ping go crazy when someone is watching YouTube ?

So when I try to play anything and someone eg my sister is on YouTube, my ping just f's up and goes from like 28/30 ms to 500+ and just stays there, occasionally falling and occasionally going past 1k + ms. What is the problem and how do I fix it? I have 70 mb/s internet on fibre so this shouldn't be happening.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my ping go crazy when someone is watching YouTube ?

Hi Neskat,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read that you are having an issue with high pings.

Are you able to post the ping/trace route results please so we can check it over?

Can this happen at any time of the day?

You mentioned this happens when you are gaming, is this through PC/Xbox/PS4? Is the device connected through wired or wireless?

Does it only happen when someone opens YouTube or can it be through general internet browsing also?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Neskat
Tuning in
Message 3 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hey sorry for the very late reply.

Here is a ping and trace thing that I did towards riot.de , which are the creators of League of Legends (one of the games I have this problem on)

Ping to riot.dePing to riot.deTrace to riot.deTrace to riot.de

Bare in mind, that I did both of these while someone was using YouTube.

It happens only when someone is on some sort of website that drains internet, and this is mainly YouTube. Apart from that, my ping is usually at a constant 29-35 ms.

I game on PC, and I am connected through a wired connection through a powerline. I know that the problem isn't the powerline being faulty as I recently bought it, and I also had this problem over Wi-Fi before, but way way worse.

And for the last question, I think it only happens through YouTube or any site that involves buffering a video, like Twitch, or YouTube. General internet browsing doesn't really affect it at all.

0 Kudos
Neskat
Tuning in
Message 4 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Forgot to add to my previous post, here is the ping/trace from when no one is on YouTube. I pinged the same place (riot.de)

Ping without YTPing without YTTrace without YTTrace without YT

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hey there Neskat,

Thanks for getting back to us, hope you're well Smiley Happy

Apologies again for the connection problems. I've just taken a look at your connection, I can see that we're working on a fault in your area under ref: F004379326 which is due for review on the 25th Jan. This fault can be responsible for reducing speeds during peak time hours (evenings and weekends).

Thanks for posting your trace routes, with the fault in mind, do you think that your connection issues align with the fault? Does you notice if your problems are intermittent or constant?

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Neskat
Tuning in
Message 6 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hey thanks for the reply.

The problems used to only happen when something YouTube was in use, but I've started noticing unstable ping even when it isn't being used.

Also a question, if the problem is still here after the works are done after Jan 25th, what kind of help would I receive ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hello Neskat,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

I appreciate the additional info. The review date is when we can expect the fault ticket to be updated to make us aware of the progress which has been made. These faults do require a monitoring period so we don't provide firm fix dates.

If you could get back to us on or after the 25th, we will have more info for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Neskat wrote:

So when I try to play anything and someone eg my sister is on YouTube, my ping just f's up and goes from like 28/30 ms to 500+ and just stays there, occasionally falling and occasionally going past 1k + ms. What is the problem and how do I fix it? I have 70 mb/s internet on fibre so this shouldn't be happening.

You're making a couple of wrong assumptions here.

1. HIGH speed does not give LOW/LOWER latency.

2. You're on a cable network, which is only partially fibre, but quite a bit of coaxial cable as well. Cable works by sharing channels with several hundred other people in your area. Which generally performs worse latency wise, than a pure fibre or BT fibre network. I'm saying you're on the wrong ISP for being a gamer and you don't need high speeds (unless you're particularly concerned with download times).

Anyway, back to your issue. You need to watch this video:

Read this: https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Tests_for_Bufferbloat/

Run this test (the one from the video above): http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Select "Cable" (not gigabit fibre), because cable is what you have, to start the test.

When you get poor bufferbloat results, you need to think about getting a 3rd party router which has the QoS (Quality of Service) feature, like most Asus routers have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2rsUDIsx_w

A QoS router (when connected to the Virgin hub) will enable you to optimise traffic on your local network and prioritise your gaming packets over youtube, other streaming and downloads.

0 Kudos
Neskat
Tuning in
Message 9 of 42
Flag for a moderator

What would you classify as a poor bufferbloat result ? I got a C on mine. Is this poor ?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Neskat wrote:
What would you classify as a poor bufferbloat result ? I got a C on mine. Is this poor ?

As the video shows, an A would be a good/very good result. C is below B, but above D, E and F. So not as bad as it could be but not where you want it to be for fast paced gaming.

0 Kudos