Menu
Drewjah
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why does my latency keep going up and up

I'm getting really angry about this service. I've had an engineer out who tested my line and said he could not find anything wrong with my service. Explain to me then how the latency on my Xbox one just keeps gradually going up and up???

it started at 142. When I checked with Xbox live it says the maximum latency to play fps is 140 !! It has now gone to 173. What is going on with vm ???  When they check the line at the cab ( if by some miracle someone does ) they get two readings the first they get down the line and can be checked by their reps over the phone but the second the reps can't test and is the one that is usually unbalanced causing problems. Is there anyone left who works for VM that knows what reading I'm on about and can someone come and check the bloody cab right out side my house and check it and see if it's unbalanced, because out of about 12 engineers who have come to my house over the years not one has ever gone to the cab to check my connection NOT ONE. The only reason I know about the readings is because there was an engineer at the cab setting up a new installation and I asked him to check my line while he was there and he showed me the readings and the first reading was normal he explained but the second reading he said was unbalanced and he would have to get a manager to come and have a look at it. Did one come and check it? God knows, but someone needs too. Are there any real engineers left at VM who understand how it all works or have they all gone with ntl and age???????

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why does my latency keep going up and up

Hi, the reason your ping is 171 on xbox is because when you do the onnection test it is pinging servers in america, its like that for everyone i get 169-171 when i do test.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As Lee2 says, it's inevitable that you get a long ping time to servers in Seattle, just as there is a delay on international phone calls. You just have to live with it. 

0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Drewjah,

Right, so there's quite a lot of information in there, so I will break it down a little into areas. Firstly as some of the people above me have mentioned, if a server is a long distance from you, it has to go through several "hops". What this means is the route to the destination, each router it hits is classed as a hop.

When you do a ping test, your ICMP packet is going over to the end server, getting a response all the way back to you to say "I'm there" and that measurement is the 173 milliseconds you talk of.

Now I'm not going to just pass it off as "it's far, therefore it must be that", there is more we check first just completely make sure your connect is fine at least. That said, I'm not sure what the "unbalanced" means that the engineer told you. First things first, get yourself over to thinkbroadband.com and register an account. Make your way to the tools and the the broadband quality monitor and set yourself one up (it's pretty easy to do). 

Once you've got that setup, leave it a couple of days and got back to it. What you want to see is a nice graph where the green and blue part is down low with the odd yellow spike. What you don't want to see is huge spikes in all colours at peak times, as this can signal utilisation.

Secondly, unlike the forum team who will get to this and can connect to your router, we have to do this somewhat blind, so if you could login to your router on 192.168.100.1, Without logging in click the "Router Status" button and take a look at the Downstream and Upstream Stats. If you can copy and paste those here, we can at least establish that your power levels are ok. It's probably safe to say that having an engineer out, they are fine, but there's not harm in looking while you wait on a forum staff member to get to this.

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey

All Replies
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi, the reason your ping is 171 on xbox is because when you do the onnection test it is pinging servers in america, its like that for everyone i get 169-171 when i do test.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As Lee2 says, it's inevitable that you get a long ping time to servers in Seattle, just as there is a delay on international phone calls. You just have to live with it. 

0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Drewjah,

Right, so there's quite a lot of information in there, so I will break it down a little into areas. Firstly as some of the people above me have mentioned, if a server is a long distance from you, it has to go through several "hops". What this means is the route to the destination, each router it hits is classed as a hop.

When you do a ping test, your ICMP packet is going over to the end server, getting a response all the way back to you to say "I'm there" and that measurement is the 173 milliseconds you talk of.

Now I'm not going to just pass it off as "it's far, therefore it must be that", there is more we check first just completely make sure your connect is fine at least. That said, I'm not sure what the "unbalanced" means that the engineer told you. First things first, get yourself over to thinkbroadband.com and register an account. Make your way to the tools and the the broadband quality monitor and set yourself one up (it's pretty easy to do). 

Once you've got that setup, leave it a couple of days and got back to it. What you want to see is a nice graph where the green and blue part is down low with the odd yellow spike. What you don't want to see is huge spikes in all colours at peak times, as this can signal utilisation.

Secondly, unlike the forum team who will get to this and can connect to your router, we have to do this somewhat blind, so if you could login to your router on 192.168.100.1, Without logging in click the "Router Status" button and take a look at the Downstream and Upstream Stats. If you can copy and paste those here, we can at least establish that your power levels are ok. It's probably safe to say that having an engineer out, they are fine, but there's not harm in looking while you wait on a forum staff member to get to this.

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
Drewjah
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys, tested to America Seattle and like you said latency is high for there. When I forwarded my ports for xbone live it started off at 142 and has gradually gone up to 173. So blops 3 is gona be my last cod as I only buy for multiplayer and usually play early hours when I'm off as I work nights. I'm tired of Americans going on how **bleep** we are at fps and how great they are its so frustrating when most of the time it's just lag and knowing most of them would get smashed. Thanks again.

0 Kudos