Menu
DestinyExplorer
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Why does my internet become literally unusable after about 8PM every night?

Pretty simple issue I'm unable to identify. My internet is fine all day, games like LoL and Overwatch giving me a solid 30ms ping until the evening hits, when without fail for the last 3 - 4 weeks the internet has become literally unusable for gaming, averaging about 150ms, spiking to up to 500ms. I have no clue what the problem could be. I'm on PC, using a wired connection.

Before anyone suggests modem mode, that's not an option right now, but before this time I used to have the solid 30 ping all day and night, nothing has changed in terms of my internet since, so why does it suck suddenly?

All help appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my internet become literally unusable after about 8PM every night?

hiya @DestinyExplorer welcome to the virginmedia community forum, its possible at 8pm a lot of people go online at the same time and are very heavy down loaders, but would be worth checking the signal levels before 8pm and after 8pm,
if you could goto http://192.168.0.1 clicking router status top right [no need to login] and if you could copy/paste the downstream, upstream, network log.. dont worry about the formatting we can easily read it.
so if you could take a copy pre/post 8pm.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my internet become literally unusable after about 8PM every night?

Hi DestinyExplorer,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor connection in the evenings.

The timing of the issue would certainly suggest a peak time congestion fault but I've just checked and this isn't the case.

I can see that your upstream power levels are too high which will require a technician visit to adjust. 

I've just sent you a PM (purple envelope, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the appointment.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos