Menu
TheE7Player
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Weird Internet Problems

Just recently (This had happened just 3 months ago but is getting worse) I've been quite mad at my internet...

It seems that when I play online games (Mostly CS:GO, TF2, BF4 ect) I've been getting VERY bad ping. This never happened before, it is getting quite worse...

I've tried many of things to help this. Increase Mbps (144Mbps is most I can get from my internet card) Enable firewall and all of that.

I don't know if it's caused by my family just downloading or watching things... Or if it's just my internet card just slowly not working... (I had this PC/Tower for almost 2 years)

A good example is on CS:GO just yesterday. I thought "Maybe this could be a good day to play without lag.." I was wrong, VERY wrong. At first it was saying I was at 65 ping (net_graph on in-game) then I joined a team then right away the annoying 400 ping. It got worse and got a new record on highest ping I've got so far in any game (1000 ping lol)

If your wondering I am using wireless. My router (or family) is downstairs. Yet again I've never had problems like this before! I am getting quite mad because I don't wanna lose my rank for being inactive for 3 weeks not playing comp... So if anyone can help, please do Smiley Happy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Weird Internet Problems

Hello TheE7Player

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having a few problems with lag while gaming it does sound most frustrating. Your connection looks good, all levels in specification, the area is performing well, quite low traffic levels. I can see a bit of usage by your family and there is no doubt that at times this may cause your gaming packets to queue however that said probably the best thing you can do is try to connect wired. Wireless is not the best form of connection and we would always recommend wired for gaming. 

Have you though about buying a long Ethernet lead or perhaps considering Powerline adaptors.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
TheE7Player
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I already have a powerline adaptor, it's right next to my PC. I don't know if the problem is caused by my antenna. Is there an QoS for the superhub? It might come in handy at some point.
0 Kudos
TheE7Player
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm kind of mad now due to the internet now starting weird things. Huge lag spikes. Yesterday I got my 30m ban, now it's an hour. It keeps disconnecting me from the internet (Powerline Adapter as well) 

virginmediagg.jpg

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Run cmd
ping -n 200 194.168.4.100

If packet loss post your downstream, upstream and logs
http://192.168.100.1/RouterStatus.html

If latency is all over the place disable wireless only have one PC connected or use modem mode with the PC to the modem mode port and try gaming and ping again.

If done above and latency is still bad with no packet loss then post your downstream, upstream and logs anyway and setup a BQM.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

None of the super hubs/hub do any advanced QoS this will be down to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Since-200Mbit-upgrade-buffer-bloat-mass...

0 Kudos
TheE7Player
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's kind of fixed now since it is upgraded to an Superhub 3. Sadly since I was talking no stop of internet problems, my mum is mad at me lol. Where my room is I cant get wired which is sad for me since to play CS:GO smoothly I'll need 50 ping <. It doesn't help either that my family all connect to it. When it arrived I got 46Mbps on wireless. On 6 connected users, I now get 21Mbps... QoS would be nice to limit it. I hope SH 3 has QoS...
0 Kudos