Menu
Mattybas
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Weak wireless signal to Sons new PS4

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has had similar issue and resolved them.

As most games consoles now require some sort of online subscription to access updates etc. I am a bit gutted that I spent over 300 quid on a PS4 for my son and he cannot play on this in his bedroom online as it cannot always find the signal from the superhub (not so super).

I made a rookie mistake of purchasing Wifi booster sockets that use the wiring of the property to boost the signal. Then realised as I live in 3 storey property the 2 higher levels are on a different circuit so this wont work...Smiley Sad

I there anything else I can do to make it possible to be able to use the internet anywhere else in my property other than in the direct vicinity of the hub?

I have tried changing channels etc, been on the phone to experts Smiley Wink on the other end of the line who always end up fobbing me of saying the wifi signal should be stronger etc but all they end up doing is changing the channel as I have done myself many a time.

I was wondering as I have multi room do Virgin or can they install another router that would cover the 1st and 2nd floor and does this cost more additional money?

cheers for any advice or help.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Weak wireless signal to Sons new PS4

The VM Superhubs are known to have bad wireless. Its a failing that has been happening for years.
I have my PS4 connect via Wifi to my own Router, that is then plugged into the Superhub. The Superhub is in modem mode, so acts just like a modem, but all my network functions are controlled by ASUS Router.

Please see this link to show my setup.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Weak wireless signal to Sons new PS4

Mattybas wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has had similar issue and resolved them.

As most games consoles now require some sort of online subscription to access updates etc. I am a bit gutted that I spent over 300 quid on a PS4 for my son and he cannot play on this in his bedroom online as it cannot always find the signal from the superhub (not so super).

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors so it is not something VM can control or guarantee, no ISP can.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.

I made a rookie mistake of purchasing Wifi booster sockets that use the wiring of the property to boost the signal. Then realised as I live in 3 storey property the 2 higher levels are on a different circuit so this wont work...Smiley Sad

As I understand it power line adaptors (some at least) can pass data between circuits, so they might still be an option. For the PS4 I'd recommend using Ethernet over PLA rather than wireless (less lag).

I there anything else I can do to make it possible to be able to use the internet anywhere else in my property other than in the direct vicinity of the hub?

I have tried changing channels etc, been on the phone to experts Smiley Wink on the other end of the line who always end up fobbing me of saying the wifi signal should be stronger etc but all they end up doing is changing the channel as I have done myself many a time.

I was wondering as I have multi room do Virgin or can they install another router that would cover the 1st and 2nd floor and does this cost more additional money?

cheers for any advice or help.

You can't have two VM routers but you can buy your own third party router and connect it to the VM hub which you then put into modem mode.  If you were to get a decent router with external wireless antennas then you might be able to get a better signal in the rest of your property, but it will depend on the construction and thickness of the walls/floors/ceilings.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos